‘Canes earn Big East honors

University of Miami senior guard John Salmons (Philadelphia, PA) and sophomore forward Darius Rice were named second-team All-Big East, while junior forward James Jones (Miami American) was named third-team All-Big East as selected by the league’s coaches. Salmons was also presented with the 2001-02 Big East Sportsmanship Award.

Salmons, a two-time Big East Player of the Week selection this season, has started all 29 games this season at point guard and is averaging 13.3 points, 5.9 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 1.9 steals per game. Salmons, a third-team All-Conference selection last season, has started 104 consecutive games for the Hurricanes and is the only player in school history to surpass 1000 career points (1255), 600 rebounds (667), 400 assists (414) and 150 steals (189).

Rice, Big East All-Rookie selection as a freshman last season, leads the team in scoring at 15.3 points per game and is second in rebounding at 6.1 rebounds per contest.

He has recorded 10 games of 20 or more points this season, and became the first Hurricane since Eric Brown in 1989 to record back-to-back games of 30-points or more. His 71 three-point baskets this season ranks second on UM’s all-time single season list behind Steven Edward who registered 79 treys during the 1992-93 season.

Jones, a 2002 Verizon Academic All-District selection, has been one of the most improved players in the Big East this season. He is averaging 13.2 points, a team-high 6.4 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 2.5 blocks per game. Jones’ 73 blocks this season ranks third on UM’s all-time single season list.

-Hurricanesports.com

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...