News Briefs and Campus Calendar

UM RECEIVES $1 MILLION GRANT TO STUDY CUBA’S TRANSITION
The Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies (ICCAS) announced last week at a joint press conference with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) the receipt of a $1 million. This was a first-of-its kind grant for the Cuba Transition Project (CTP), a pioneering academic program that will examine the multiple issues affecting Cuba’s transition to democracy. Read more about it in The Miami Herald –
http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,2593-1;12603-3,00.html

ETHICS PROGRAM MARKS TENTH ANNIVERSARY
The University of Miami Ethics Programs marked their 10th anniversary with a special version of the annual conference, Clinical Ethics: Debates, Decisions, Solutions, on Friday, March 1. The conference featured a keynote presentation by President Shalala on a new federal privacy and data protection law. The law, crafted by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services when President Shalala was at its helm, sets nationwide standards for health privacy, data security and other matters. The program was held at the Sheraton Hotel at Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport.

TAKE A WEEK TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW
Registration is still open for many of the Spring Break courses offered the week of March 9-17. These special, high-level credit courses offer intensive learning in topics not obtainable during regular semesters and allow you to accelerate your education. If you need more information or a course brochure
call 305-284-4411, e-mail mailto:sap.cstudies@miami.edu, or visit
www.intersession.miami.edu.

today
CAC film “Harry Potter”

The Intramural Department will be training officials for softball today in the Wellness Center classrooms at 5p.m. Any student that wants to work as an official should attend these sessions.

Wed 6th March
Open mic night at the Rat from 7-9p.m.

Soceity of Composers Inc will be hosting its annual concert tonight at 8p.m. in Clarke Hall (Free admission). Original works by UM composition students and faculty will be performed.

Earth Alert is having a “Conservation and Development in Thailand” presentation today at 6:30p.m. in UC Ballroom B. Student Liz Wyman will share images and voices of culture and contemporary social issues in Thailand. All students, faculty and staff are invited to join us for this fascinating presentation . for more information, contact earthalert@hotmail.com.

Sign-up now for intramural softball and team billiards. Play begins for each sport on March 18. All UM students and faculty are welcome to participate.

Thrus 7th March
2002 Gifford Arboretum Lecture: “Zamias and Chiguas in Colombia: A tale of explorations, the forest, the People, and the War,” is tonight at 6p.m. (arboretum tour). The Lecture is at the Cox Science Center, room 126 which is followed by a reception at 8p.m. in the lobby.

Free C.O.I.S.O Club Party at Club Home (Across from the Mayfair Hotel in Coconut Grove) tonight from 9:30p.m. For more information call 305-595-5683.

Friday March 8- Sunday March 17
Spring Break

Mon March 18
Intramural softball begins. All UM students and faculty are welcome to participate

Tues March 19
CAC film, “Ocean’s 11”

Wed March 20
Comedian at the Rat from 9p.m.

Toppel Center Internship Programs for School of Business Undergraduates today from 2-3p.m. at the Toppel Center Library.

Fri March 22
Friday Grooves 11:30a.m.-1p.m. on the UC Patio; “Places of Recovery”

Happy hour at the Rat from 4:30-8p.m., DJ/Band

Jamaican Awareness Week

Mon March 25
Opening Ceremonies at 12p.m. in the UC Patio.

Tues March 26
Roots, Rhymes, Reggae at the Rat at 7p.m.

CAC film “Not another teen Movie”

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...