Florida’s pro-life plate violates

The news that a pro-life license plate was going to be produced was upsetting. The fact that proceeds from the new plate will go to pro-life foundations is appalling.

I find the fact that the state would allow such a license plate to be made in the first place not only a violation of the law established by Roe v. Wade, but also an infringement on the right to choose.

In 1973, the Supreme Court of the United States declared that in the first two trimesters a woman had the right to choose an abortion over caring to term, thus abolishing numerous state’s laws prohibiting the practice of abortion. The laws that prohibited abortion were entirely based on religion and moral beliefs of a small group of people. The Bill of Rights says that no one can be prohibited from having their own religion, but also that the state has no right to establish any general religious belief. Just as there is no state license plate that promotes a single religion, which would be an infringement on free exercise, there should be no plate that supports a belief that is based largely on religion.

The pro-life argument is an extreme conviction that denies individuals their right to make decisions about their bodies and wellbeing. But people have the right to do what they want with their own bodies. Once a belief begins to infringe upon another person’s right to choose a line has been crossed. The state government of Florida has crossed that line in allowing a pro-life license plate to be made.

Without a plate being made in opposition of anti-abortion champions, the government of Florida has made a statement that will forever deter my faith in our system of government. How dare a political body, or anyone else, tell me-or any other woman-what decisions we are to make about our bodies?

Denise Kolb is a sophomore majoring in criminology.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...