Battle of the Bands to take stage

On March 21st approximately six bands will take the stage and launch the first “Battle of the Bands” to be sponsored by QuantUM Entertainment and Hurricane Productions.

QuantUM is an on-campus entertainment organization aimed at giving a wide range of students a chance to participate, said Mike McCormick, vice president of creative affairs.

They decided to collaborate rather than compete with Hurricane Productions in order to produce a quality event, McCormick said.

Last semester, QuantUM produced the student-run production of Grease.

“We didn’t have time to put together a full production like Grease again. Also, the Battle of the Bands would allow us to enter into another realm of endeavor,” McCormick said.

So far, QuantUM has not veered out of the area of theatre.

Auditions were open last Saturday to any South Florida Band hoping to land a 10-30 minute time slot in the competition for the title and the honor of being the finest band in the area.

According to McCormick, approximately 1000 people are expected to view “The Battle of the Bands,” including radio personalities, event sponsors, and record label scouts.

“We’re trying to get DJs from Zeta 94.9 FM and a reporter or anchor from channel 7 news as judges,” McCormick said.

The names of the six bands chosen to participate, as well as the master of ceremonies for the Battle of the Bands will be posted in the next issue of the Hurricane.

Winners of this musical showcase will receive prizes ranging from gift certificates to CDs to recording products and equipment.

The Battle Of The Bands will take place 6 to 10 p.m. on March 21 at the University Center Patio.

The event will be free for all University of Miami students and $5 for all non-UM students.

“Those looking for that local South Florida sound should mark their calendars. This is an evening not to be missed,” McCormick said.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...