Battle of the Bands to take stage

On March 21st approximately six bands will take the stage and launch the first “Battle of the Bands” to be sponsored by QuantUM Entertainment and Hurricane Productions.

QuantUM is an on-campus entertainment organization aimed at giving a wide range of students a chance to participate, said Mike McCormick, vice president of creative affairs.

They decided to collaborate rather than compete with Hurricane Productions in order to produce a quality event, McCormick said.

Last semester, QuantUM produced the student-run production of Grease.

“We didn’t have time to put together a full production like Grease again. Also, the Battle of the Bands would allow us to enter into another realm of endeavor,” McCormick said.

So far, QuantUM has not veered out of the area of theatre.

Auditions were open last Saturday to any South Florida Band hoping to land a 10-30 minute time slot in the competition for the title and the honor of being the finest band in the area.

According to McCormick, approximately 1000 people are expected to view “The Battle of the Bands,” including radio personalities, event sponsors, and record label scouts.

“We’re trying to get DJs from Zeta 94.9 FM and a reporter or anchor from channel 7 news as judges,” McCormick said.

The names of the six bands chosen to participate, as well as the master of ceremonies for the Battle of the Bands will be posted in the next issue of the Hurricane.

Winners of this musical showcase will receive prizes ranging from gift certificates to CDs to recording products and equipment.

The Battle Of The Bands will take place 6 to 10 p.m. on March 21 at the University Center Patio.

The event will be free for all University of Miami students and $5 for all non-UM students.

“Those looking for that local South Florida sound should mark their calendars. This is an evening not to be missed,” McCormick said.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...