‘Organized Cheer’ showcases Greek talent

A whole lot of shaking and dancing took place Wednesday evening at the UC Patio as five fraternities and six sororities gathered to “cheer on” Greek Week.

Over three hundred people bundled up in the 60-degree weather to participate in what the Greek society calls “Organized Cheer.”

“The main purpose for this event,” explained Greek Week co-advisor Jeff Glauser, “is to accentuate the positives of what our community provides and integrate the entire campus as well… we’re here to show our stuff.”

Indeed they did.

Each sorority and fraternity participating in Organized Cheer spent weeks preparing a routine to showcase their pride, spirit, and patriotism toward their organization and community.

“This event is fun and brings all the organizations together and raises money for a good cause,” said Zeta Tau Alpha Devon Micone.

Acts ranged from an old-fashioned hillbilly dance routine by the straw-hat adorned members of Sigma Chi to an “American Cheer” by Tri Delta’s sassy ‘American Women’, to an unforgettable act of cross-dressing by a Lambda Chi Alpha member.

Although this was a competitive event, everyone seemed to be having fun.

“I came out here to watch the beautiful Delta Gamma’s shake their thang,” said student observer Patrick Feeney.

A spin-off of MTV’s “Singled Out” game show was held between cheers.

In the first half of this event, Pi Kappa Alpha member Andy Spears won a date with “Greek Goddess” Margaux Manley of Sigma Delta Tau.

Shannon Keating of Delta Gamma also landed a date with Andrew Foti from Lambda Chi Alpha after doing a rendition of Meg Ryan’s infamous orgasm scene from the movie When Harry Met Sally.

Although the primary purpose of Wednesday’s event is to promote Greek unity and pride, the organizations also raised money for a charitable cause.

Funds raised during Greek Week go to the United Cerebral Palsy foundation to raise awareness and money for research.

“I’m here,” says Sig Ep member Scott Rubenstein, “because I’m a part of something that believes in unity and a sense of community.”

Results of Wednesday’s “Organized Cheer” will be released today.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...