News Briefs and Campus Calendar

COrrections
In the February 26th issue of The Hurricane, the titles of Panhellenic Presidents were attributed to Mary Clark and Jorge Lima when in fact they were Greek Week chairs.
Also, in the same issue it was stated that the 21-day tickets to Europe were paid for by the Greek Week Committee, when in fact they were donated by STA travel.
The Hurricane apologizes for these errors.

pavia parking garage
The 4-floor, 561-space Pavia Parking Garage will begin to take shape on Monday, March 11, and is scheduled to open August 2002. The groundbreaking ceremony is scheduled for 7-8a.m.on Monday 11 as well. During construction, several lots will close and other temporary lots will open. The Parking Department has created a Web page with complete information and a color-coded map at
.

Parking and Transportation
With an important enhancement of the easy system, Parking & Transportation Services announces that as of today, Commuter and Residential students may apply for current standard spring term parking permits via EASY. For more information contact David Voorhees at 305-689-5021.

Communication Week

today
Friday Groove “Julie Patchouli,” 11:30a.m.-1p.m. on UC Patio

Happy Hour at the RAT from 4:30-1p.m., band/dj
Mystery Event from 6:30p.m. on the UC patio.

Dr. Raphael Danziger, Editor-in-Chief of Near East Report comes from AIPAC (American Israel Public Affairs Committee) in Washington DC today to speak at UM for a lunch-n-learn on the Rock. For more details please contact Anya Coverman.

Hilda Smith, Professor of History from the University of Cincinnati is presenting “The False Universal as a Basis for Understanding Women’s History” today at 3-4p.m. at the Faculty Club. Admission is free to all, a reception will follow from 4-6p.m.

Toppel Center Overview of Resources for the School of Business students is today from 3-4p.m. at the Toppel Center Library.

Sat 2nd March
Dance-a-thon at the Rathskeller.

Three point shootout. All UM students and faculty may enter free. The preliminary rounds will be Feb26-28 from 8-10p.m. in the Wellness Center. The Finals will be today at the Miami Arena during Half-time of the men’s basketball game against Virginia Tech.

Solutions Interdisciplinary Forum presents 2nd Annual Interdisciplinary Symposium: “Science: The Double-Edged Sword” today at Noon-4pm Room 148, Eaton Residential College.

Mon 4th March
Graduate School Info session: Everything you need to know about applying to graduate School (Master of Business Administration and Law School) is today from 3:30-4:30p.m. at 217 Jenkins, School of Business.

UM’s Panhellenic Association is hosting a Pancake Breakfast today on the UC Patio from 9a.m.-12p.m. The event is to celebrate International Badge and the 100th anniversary of the National Panhellenic Conference. There will also be a raffle held at the event. The breakfast tickets are $10; raffle tickets $1. All proceeds from the event will be divided among the six sororities’ philanthropy.

Canes Night Live. Movies on the Commencement Green tonight at 8p.m. “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” and “Nightmare on Elm Street” are being shown. Free refreshments will be served.

The Intramural Department will be training officials for softball from today until tomorrow in the Wellness Center classrooms at 5p.m. Any student that wants to work as an official should attend these sessions.

Woman on screen: Taking Control of the camera. Watch two movies, “Lip” and “24 Girls”, tonight at 7p.m. in the UC Flamingo Ballroom. Christina Lane, The Assistant Professor of Motion Pictures Program, will do introductions and discussions. For more information call 305-284-4530.

Tues 5th March
CAC film “Harry Potter”

The Intramural Department will be training officials for softball today in the Wellness Center classrooms at 5p.m. Any student that wants to work as an official should attend these sessions.

Wed 6th March
Open mic night at the Rat from 7-9p.m.

Soceity of Composers Inc will be hosting its annual concert tonight at 8p.m. in Clarke Hall (Free admission). Original works by UM composition students and faculty will be performed.

Earth Alert is having a “Conservation and Development in Thailand” presentation today at 6:30p.m. in UC Ballroom B. Student Liz Wyman will share images and voices of culture and contemporary social issues in Thailand. All students, faculty and staff are invited to join us for this fascinating presentation . for more information, contact earthalert@hotmail.com.

Sign-up now for intramural softball and team billiards. Play begins for each sport on March 18. All UM students and faculty are welcome to participate.

Thrus 7th March
2002 Gifford Arboretum Lecture: “Zamias and Chiguas in Colombia: A tale of explorations, the forest, the People, and the War,” is tonight at 6p.m. (arboretum tour). The Lecture is at the Cox Science Center, room 126 which is followed by a reception at 8p.m. in the lobby.

Mon 11th March
Ground Breaking for Pavia Parking Garage from 7-8a.m. today.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...