Brothers’ Appreciation winners announced

At 7:22 p.m., the winners of Sigma Gamma Rho’s Brothers’ Appreciation Day competition were announced Tuesday at the Rathskeller, honoring junior Sha-Ron Prescott with first prize.

Sigma Gamma Rho uses 22 for all their events because the historically black sorority was founded in 1922.

Prescott, a junior in the School of Music was nominated by friend and classmate Vivian Jolley.

“I greatly appreciate it that people recognize my accomplishments,” Prescott said.

Jolley was unable to attend the event last night but said, “I am very proud of him and he deserves it.”

Each of the eight nominees received a yellow flower upon entering the Rat.

Prescott went on to say that the attention is hard to get used to.

Jolley said she was not at all surprised that Prescott won because she knew he was the type of person Sigma Gamma Rho was looking for.

“He has worked so hard for everything despite the obstacles he had to face,” Jolley said.

Jolley and Prescott have been friends for a year and she described him as an open and giving friend.

“He is always concerned about others and never burdened his story on anyone until I asked him about himself,” Jolley said.

The second place winner was Jason Starr who was nominated by Ashley Zephirin. Third place went to Bryan Jones, nominated by Stephanie Floris.

Three honorable mentions were also given by the Mu Nu Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho. They went to Ian Adams, Arthur Faison, and Benjamin E. Young, II.

The winners were chosen by the chapter for their personal involvement in the university and contributions to black culture, said Alecia Gail Gray, president of Sigma Gamma Rho.

Gray initiated the Brothers Appreciation Day to “appreciate, recognize, and acknowledge significant black men” at the University.

The event lasted about an hour and a half and consisted of poems read by the members of Sigma Gamma Rho, as well as songs performed by students Chanelle Mosley and Serina Guirantes.

“The event went very, very, very well and it went better than we expected because it was the first time we did this,” Gray said.

“We want to make it an annual event and part of the Black Awareness Month calendar,” Gray said.

The first place winner received a dinner for two at the Cheesecake Factory; the second place winner received two movie tickets; and the third place winner received a Blockbuster Video gift.

Anyone was allowed to nominate a black male affiliated with the University. The nominator was required to write a one-page essay about the nominee, explaining why he or she is a positive role model.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...