Student Government Elections 2002 part 2

Kirk Hunter
Kirk Hunter is a junior majoring in broadcasting and political science

His platform includes the following:

1. Faster and more productive student government
2. Libraries and computer labs stay open 24 hours during finals.
3. Professors are required to post their syllabus prior to registration
4. More concessions in student government for minority and international students
5. Cap on tuition
6. ATM’s, HBO, Comedy Central, and Cartoon Network in all of the dorms.

Although Hunter has not had previous experience with Student Government, he has experience in the world of politics-Hunter worked with Councilwoman Goosby of New York the summer of 2001.

“All the other candidates come from the same system; a system that does not represent the students. The four candidates I’m running against are essentially the same candidate; if elected they will all continue the same process. This is really a two candidate race,” Hunter said. “I’m working for the majority.”

Mike Johnston
Mike Johnston is a junior majoring in industrial engineering.
He presently holds the positions of Speaker of the Senate and Student representative on the Board of Trustees
Listed are several major goals within Johnston’s platform:
1. Increase lighting on pathways on campus
2. Regulate the amount of edition changes in textbooks
3. Increase in cable channels on campus
4. Install ice machines in the dorm
5. Create a new senate seat for the Volunteer Service Center
6. Become more tuned in and active in WVUM
7. Expand IBISride shuttle service to Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights
“I’m the most experienced in Student Government,” Johnston said.
He has been active in SG since his freshman year, having held positions as freshman senator and Chief of Staff. During his SG career, Johnston has implemented a pilot recycling program in Hecht Residential College, the IBISride shuttle service to Coconut Grove, and the renovations to Hecht/Stanford Residential Dining Hall, which begin in May.
Johnston is running under the ticket, “A Change in U…’Cause it’s time,” with Justin Levine for vice president and Mahala Dar as treasurer.
“Our platform ideas are concrete ideas that can actually happen,” Johnston said. “We don’t want to beat around the bush, we want to get things done. We don’t to waste time talking; we’re going to have our ideas become a reality.”

Steve Priepke
Steve Priepke is a junior majoring in Political Science. His Student Government experience includes Chief of Staff (2001-present); Chairman of the academic affairs committee (Spring 2001); Mahoney Residential College Senator (2000-2001). He has also held positions as Golden Key international honor society treasurer; Undergraduate representative to the board of trustees; President Shalala’s Inaguration committee member; Honors student association member and as a Resident Assistant.
Listed are the major ideas in Priepke’s Platform:
1. Student Government unity and involvement
2. Better availability of information: “What student government is doing for U”
3. Improved campus programming
4. Promotion of UM heritage: This includes replacing the paintings in the residence halls with UM history/culture.
5. Increased apartment area security
Priepke plans on, “Putting the U back into Student Government”.
“Our ticket as a whole,” according to Priepke, “has more student government experience than any other ticket.”
He also states that only an average of 10 percent of students are active voters in the student government elections.
“Unlike the US presidential elections,” Priepke says, “your vote does count.”
“Is experience important? Is spirit important? Is integrity important?” Priepke asked. “You have to vote all about ‘U'”

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

Human Rights Watch says the government’s denial of the crisis worsens the suffering of its people. ...

The Hurricanes fell in dramatic fashion to Loyola Chicago in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament. ...

The University of Miami rowing team will open its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invit ...

The Miami Hurricanes will be looking for their fourth series win of the spring when they open up a w ...

Senior Wally Layland started the final diving meet of her career in spectacular fashion Wednesday ni ...

The eighth-seeded Miami women's basketball team begins its fourth consecutive NCAA Tournament a ...