Student Government Elections 2002 part 2

Kirk Hunter
Kirk Hunter is a junior majoring in broadcasting and political science

His platform includes the following:

1. Faster and more productive student government
2. Libraries and computer labs stay open 24 hours during finals.
3. Professors are required to post their syllabus prior to registration
4. More concessions in student government for minority and international students
5. Cap on tuition
6. ATM’s, HBO, Comedy Central, and Cartoon Network in all of the dorms.

Although Hunter has not had previous experience with Student Government, he has experience in the world of politics-Hunter worked with Councilwoman Goosby of New York the summer of 2001.

“All the other candidates come from the same system; a system that does not represent the students. The four candidates I’m running against are essentially the same candidate; if elected they will all continue the same process. This is really a two candidate race,” Hunter said. “I’m working for the majority.”

Mike Johnston
Mike Johnston is a junior majoring in industrial engineering.
He presently holds the positions of Speaker of the Senate and Student representative on the Board of Trustees
Listed are several major goals within Johnston’s platform:
1. Increase lighting on pathways on campus
2. Regulate the amount of edition changes in textbooks
3. Increase in cable channels on campus
4. Install ice machines in the dorm
5. Create a new senate seat for the Volunteer Service Center
6. Become more tuned in and active in WVUM
7. Expand IBISride shuttle service to Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights
“I’m the most experienced in Student Government,” Johnston said.
He has been active in SG since his freshman year, having held positions as freshman senator and Chief of Staff. During his SG career, Johnston has implemented a pilot recycling program in Hecht Residential College, the IBISride shuttle service to Coconut Grove, and the renovations to Hecht/Stanford Residential Dining Hall, which begin in May.
Johnston is running under the ticket, “A Change in U…’Cause it’s time,” with Justin Levine for vice president and Mahala Dar as treasurer.
“Our platform ideas are concrete ideas that can actually happen,” Johnston said. “We don’t want to beat around the bush, we want to get things done. We don’t to waste time talking; we’re going to have our ideas become a reality.”

Steve Priepke
Steve Priepke is a junior majoring in Political Science. His Student Government experience includes Chief of Staff (2001-present); Chairman of the academic affairs committee (Spring 2001); Mahoney Residential College Senator (2000-2001). He has also held positions as Golden Key international honor society treasurer; Undergraduate representative to the board of trustees; President Shalala’s Inaguration committee member; Honors student association member and as a Resident Assistant.
Listed are the major ideas in Priepke’s Platform:
1. Student Government unity and involvement
2. Better availability of information: “What student government is doing for U”
3. Improved campus programming
4. Promotion of UM heritage: This includes replacing the paintings in the residence halls with UM history/culture.
5. Increased apartment area security
Priepke plans on, “Putting the U back into Student Government”.
“Our ticket as a whole,” according to Priepke, “has more student government experience than any other ticket.”
He also states that only an average of 10 percent of students are active voters in the student government elections.
“Unlike the US presidential elections,” Priepke says, “your vote does count.”
“Is experience important? Is spirit important? Is integrity important?” Priepke asked. “You have to vote all about ‘U'”

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...