Student Government Elections 2002 part 1

Presidential candidates:

JD Barbosa JD
Barbosa is a senior majoring in finance and economics. He presently holds the positions of Category 5 co-chair (2000-present); Student Government Senator (1999-present); and President of the Association of Commuter Students (2000-present).
Listed are several major goals within Barbosa’s platform:
1. A “Resident’s Bill of Rights”
2. Thanksgiving break extension
3. Lower prices for textbooks
4. Academic Fairness: This series of issues include longer library hours; sample syllabi available online for students to review before they commit to specific classes; no examinations during homecoming; an increase in honors classes; extra points for A+ grades; no more than two exams a day; mandatory use of courses.miami.edu; and the incorporation of ACE’S on EASY.
5. Wellness center improvements: These include increasing the quantity of EFX 540 machines, flat benches, free-weight room, and a separate cardio room.
6. Communication between students and parking and transportation
“I feel like I am the only candidate that wants to work for the students and not for the administration,” Barbosa said.
“With my experience in Category 5, I’ve had a chance to work with those students who are interested in student government but not in the legislative aspect.”
In fact, Barbosa was instrumental in the creation of Category 5 two years ago and has seen it through to its present form today.

Zehev Benzaken
Zehev Benzaken is a sophomore majoring in biology.

Benzaken is a native of Manaus, Brazil, and was involved in student government in high school.

Listed are several major goals within Benzaken’s platform:

1. Create the President’s Thursday-where the SG president and/or vice president table in the breezeway to find out what students need and promote SG.
2. Promote SG among international students and other groups and give them representation in the SG senate.
3. Install other ATM’s-for example: First Union-and install more ATM’s all over the campus.
4. Install ice machines in the dorms.

Benzaken said that most of the SG presidential candidates have the same basic ideas.

“I am going to try to talk to all these people,” Benzaken said. “I want to listen to everybody and what they have to say.”

Stephanie Hernandez
Stephanie Hernandez is a junior majoring in political science and psychology with a minor in leadership.
She presently holds the positions of SG Speaker Pro Tempore; President’s 100; and Vice president of Phi Alpha Delta
Listed are several major goals within Hernandez’s platform:
1. Increase campus safety
2. Create an international students senate seat
3. Promote parking awareness
4. Increase in library hours
5. Increase participation of students in campus activities
6. Share resources between student organizations
7. Reduce overlapping of on-campus events
8. Continue student reach out week
9. Create a SG monthly forum, where all student leaders will be invited to discuss campus concerns
10. Create a calendar of events to be displayed in various locations
11. Televise a list of daily events in the UC
“When looking for a president it needs to be someone who has balance of getting things accomplished and getting along with people, knowing how to work with people,” Hernandez said.
“Not only do I have the experience but I have the best combination of effectiveness and people skills.”
“And I’m the only female,” she added.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...