Sports Briefs

SWIMMING
Manon van Rooijen was named the Big East Most Outstanding Swimmer after her performance at the Big East Swimming and Diving Championships in Uniondale, New York this weekend. The sophomore from Westdorpe, Holland won three individual events and one relay while breaking three Big East Championship records in the process. Van Rooijen now holds five school records including two individual and three relay marks. Van Rooijen won the 100-yard freestyle in 49.11 seconds. The mark breaks her old Big East and school record time of 49.88 seconds set on November 30th, 2001 at the U.S. Open. 6. In the 200-yard freestyle, van Rooijen powered to first place in 1:46.48 – again breaking her old Big East and school record of 1:47.29 set at the Open last fall. She also won the 200-yard IM in 2:02.37. The Hurricanes swimming and diving team finished the conference meet in third place on the women’s side with 488 points and in ninth place for the men with 201 points.

DIVING
The University of Miami swept the diving awards at the Big East Championships in Uniondale, New York this weekend. Senior Imre Lengyel was named Big East Most Outstanding Men’s Diver, senior Michelle Davison was named Big East Most Outstanding Women’s Diver and head diving coach Randy Ableman took Big East Men’s and Women’s Diving Coach of the Year honors. Lengyel won the men’s 1-meter competition with 381.30 points and the 3-meter competition with 665.80 points. For the women, Davison won the 1-meter competition with 300.65 points. Head coach Randy Ableman was again honored as the best diving coach in the Big East. He has been named the best women’s coach for the past three seasons and best men’s coach two of the past three seasons. Miami swept all four top places in both the men’s 1-meter and 3-meter competitions this weekend.

MEN’S TENNIS
Miami powered past Western Michigan, 6-1, in men’s tennis action at South Bend, Indiana on Saturday. The No.35 Hurricanes evened their record to 2-2. The Broncos fall to 7-6. In doubles, the duo of junior Andrew Golub and freshman Andrew McDade won 8-5 and seniors Thomas Smid and Jose Lieberman picked up a victory. Freshman Todd Widom and senior Tarik El Bassiouni were defeated 9-7. UM won the doubles point by winning two of the three matches. In singles action, Miami won five of six matches.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...