News Briefs and Campus Calendar

In the Feb. 19 issue of the Hurricane, Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Pat Whitely was misquoted as saying, “It just goes to show that the University of Miami deep down is a good party school too. Not only are we an excellent academic institution but also a world class party school.” In fact, the quote should have been attributed to President Donna Shalala. The Hurricane apologizes for the error.

Quotes attributed to Dr. Pat Whitely in the Feb. 8 2002 issue of the Miami Hurricane were in accurate. The HUrricane apologies for the error.

Students graduating from the University of Miami this Spring will experience a new Commencement ceremony format. In place of the annual university-wide ceremony held in mid-May for all graduating students, this year, the University of Miami will hold several ceremonies providing students the opportunity to be recognized individually and walk across stage for the conferral of degrees.
“Commencement is one of the most important days in the lives of our graduates,” said President Donna E. Shalala. “The smaller ceremonies are designed to be more personalized, and to allow us to announce the graduates individually and personally hand them their diploma. These will not be ticketed events graduates are encouraged to invite family and friends as they wish.”
The ceremonies will be divided into three undergraduate ceremonies to be held throughout the day on Friday, May 10, and one graduate ceremony to be held on Saturday, May 11. The schools of Medicine and Law will hold their own ceremonies on May 11 and 19, respectively. All undergraduate and graduate ceremonies will be held on the University Green, the lawn between the Otto G. Richter Library and the University Center, on the UM Coral Gables campus. There will also be a University-wide, mid-year commencement, tentatively set for December 18, 2002, at the Knight Sports Complex. Many commencement activities – the academic procession, the commencement address and the musical accompaniment – will remain. The new format, however, will allow students the opportunity to have their pictures taken with the president and their dean as they cross the stage.

The University of Miami’s Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies (ICCAS) and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) held a joint press conference to announce a first-of-its-kind, $1 million dollar grant for the Cuba Transition Project (CTP) 11:00a.m. on Thursday, February 21 at the ICCAS courtyard. The University’ s Cuba Transition Project is a pioneer academic program that examines the multiple issues affecting Cuba’s transition to democracy.

UM’s Bascom Palmer Eye Institute is turning 40. Anniversary events concluded this weekend as hundreds of alumni returned to Miami for the 40th Anniversary Scientific Meeting at The Biltmore Hotel on February 21-23. Ranked among the nation’s top two hospitals for ophthalmology by U.S. News & World Report for the past 12 years, the Institute has trained more than 500 clinicians and researchers now practicing throughout the U.S. and in 30 nations. Anniversary celebrations planned in the coming months include the Evening of Vision Gala in Palm Beach on Saturday, March 16, the Broward Friends of Bascom Palmer Eye Institute Dinner on Thursday, April 11 and the Miami Friends’ Dinner on Thursday, April 25. For more information on these events contact Cynthia Birch at 305-326-6190.
 Parking and Transportation
With an important enhancement of the easy system, Parking & Transportation Services announces that as of Friday March 1,2002, Commuter and Residential students may apply for current standard spring term parking permits via EASY. For more information contact David Voorhees at 305-689-5021.

Black Awareness Month

Communication Week

CAC film, “Pulp Fiction”

Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. is having their Brother’s Appreciation Day tonight at 7:55p.m. at the Rat. The winner of the Man of the Year essay contest will be announced. The first place prize is dinner for two at CheeseCake Factory. (Applications for SGRho’s Man of the Year contest are available in the Ibis Office UC 215.)

Interfraternity Council is having their “Greek lunch on the Patio” today between 11a.m.-2p.m. There will be a special reserved area for Greek’s with entertainment and food specials! Wear your letters and come hang out with other members of the Greek community!

Wed 27th Feb
The 2002 Estelle & Emil Gould Humanities Lecture featuring “Churchill’s First 25 Years,” a lecture by The Honorable Celia Sandys (The granddaughter of Sir Winston Churchill) is today at 4p.m. in the Learning Center, room 110. For additional information call 305-284-5735. Light refreshments will be served.

Organized Cheer at 7p.m. on the UC Patio.

Games Night at RAT from 7-9p.m.

Thrus 28th Feb
The Graduate School will host an Open House from 4 – 7 p.m. today in celebration of its new home at Albert Pick Hall. RSVP to Vivian Miller at 305-284-2875 or

BAM closing ceremonies at 12p.m. at the Rat.

Fri 1st March
Friday Groove “Julie Patchouli,” 11:30a.m.-1p.m. on UC Patio

Happy Hour at the RAT from 4:30-1p.m., band/dj
Mystery Event from 6:30p.m. on the UC patio.

Toppel Center Overview of Resources for the School of Business students is today from 3-4p.m. at the Toppel Center Library.

Sat 2nd March
Dance-a-thon at the Rathskeller.

Three point shootout. All UM students and faculty may enter free. The preliminary rounds will be Feb26-28 from 8-10p.m. in the Wellness Center. The Finals will be today at the Miami Arena during Half-time of the men’s basketball game against Virginia Tech.

Solutions Interdisciplinary Forum presents 2nd Annual Interdisciplinary Symposium: “Science: The Double-Edged Sword” today at Noon-4pm Room 148, Eaton Residential College.

Mon 4th March
Graduate School Info session: Everything you need to know about applying to graduate School (Master of Business Administration and Law School) is today from 3:30-4:30p.m. at 217 Jenkins, School of Business.

UM’s Panhellenic Association is hosting a Pancake Breakfast today on the UC Patio from 9a.m.-12p.m. The event is to celebrate International Badge and the 100th anniversary of the National Panhellenic Conference. There will also be a raffle held at the event. The breakfast tickets are $10; raffle tickets $1. All proceeds from the event will be divided among the six sororities’ philanthropy.

Canes Night Live. Movies on the Commencement Green tonight at 8p.m. “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” and “Nightmare on Elm Street” are being shown. Free refreshments will be served.

Tues 5th March
CAC film “Harry Potter”

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...