Sports Briefs

Men’s basketball

Dear University of Miami Students,

You have been with us from the start of this run for the NCAA Tourn-ament and for this, the team and I sincerely thank you. It’s been a very dynamic season but we have a challenging road ahead as we enter the home stretch.

The energy and excitement at the Miami Arena has been fantastic this season and with your help, we are 12-1 at home. We play rival Notre Dame this Saturday night and we look forward to the continued support of you and your fellow Hurricanes. Be there as we look to secure a bye in the Big East tournament and a shot at the Big Dance.

Go Canes.

Perry Clark
Head Coach
-Men’s Basketball

VOLLEYBALL

Head coach Nicole Lantagne announced the 2002 Miami volleyball schedule this week. The Hurricanes begin competition in the Big East Conference this fall after competing as an independent last season.
UM will compete in three tournaments to begin the season including marquee matchups against Georgia, Oregon and Florida State. The schedule includes two conference champions (Notre Dame – Big East and FIU-Sun Belt) and three teams that advanced to conference championship games (Stephen F. Austin -Southland, Florida State – ACC, FAU – Atlantic Sun). Coach Lantagne guided a young Miami team to a 17-7 overall record last year in its first season of volleyball since 1981. UM finished the season on an 11-match win streak and compiled a 13-1 home record at the Knight Complex in Coral Gables.

TRACK AND FIELD

Freshman Lauren Williams won the 60- and 200-meter dash titles to earn Most Outstanding Performer honors as the Miami Hurricanes women’s track and field team produced a school-best 106 points for a third place finish at the Big East Conference Men’s Indoor Track & Field Championships at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, New York. Perhaps Kareen Clarke produced the top individual performance by a Hurricane athlete in the triple jump. The senior produced a winning leap of 43 feet, 3 inches (13.18 meters) to earn her third consecutive BIG EAST Indoor title in the event. Sprinters Andre Johnson and Gus Martin raced to individual titles Sunday afternoon to lead the Miami Hurricanes to a seventh-place team finish. Johnson’s 60-meter victory earned in a time of 6.83 seconds. Martin’s victory in the 60-meter high hurdles came in a time of 7.96 seconds.

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...