Queer film club makes blazin’ trail

Mastermind professor Anthony Barthelemy, while watching the movie Head On, came up with a brilliant idea to help diversify the campus’ culture.

He thought that the school could use a queer film club so students could watch and learn about alternative films about alternative lifestyles.

“Call it an idea from heaven, or perhaps hell,” the jovial professor said. “I was so touched by this movie Head On that I thought it would be wonderful for our campus to have a club that could show such films and we could talk about them.”

He notified student Allison Tucker and I about his idea and together we started the queer film club, which will have its first meeting on Tuesday Feb. 26th at 8 p.m. at hosts’ Associate Masters Mary Stampino and Robert Strain’s apartment in the Hecht dormitory.

“Mostly, we will be showing movies about people with lives that diverge from the norm,” Tucker said.

“Seventy-five percent will be dealing with the homosexual lifestyle, but we will also focus on what type of things other than sexuality could label somebody as ‘queer.'”

Tucker hopes the club will have as many straight attendees as gay. “I know a lot of my friends are going, and I really hope everybody can show up. It’s going to be a fantastic club. Lot’s of fun.”

When you are different from the norm, your identity can’t be shaped by your family or popular culture. Instead, you turn to other venues to find identity.

One of those venues is the arts – film, television, books, theatre, etc. We will definitely be talking about how the various things we watch shape certain identities.

Hopefully, the programming will also include TV shows so that this can become a forum for people to talk about how entertainment has shaped their identities, whether positively or negatively.

Tucker and I are making a series of four clips from certain queer films as a sort of introduction. From there, the club will come to a consensus of what movies we will be watching each week.

I was thinking of The Sum of Us or The Boys in the Band or Harold and Maude as one of the first movies

Add to movies the intelligent co-founders and caramel brownies and the queer film club seems to have it all.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...