News Briefs and Campus Calendar

Cultural extravaganza today
COISO is holding a “Cultural Extravaganza” today at 8p.m. at the Wesley Center.

COMMUNICATION BUILDING TO BE SCENE OF MOCK BIO-TERRORIST ATTACK
The School of Medicine’s Center for Research in Medical Education will be filming a mock bio-terrorism attack on Saturday, February 23 at the School of Communication’s Frances L. Wolfson Building. The event will be videotaped
as part of a training program to teach pre-hospital workers (firefighters, paramedics, and emergency medical technicians) how to manage incidents involving weapons of mass destruction. Once complete, the program will be
distributed to fire and emergency service providers throughout Florida
Parking and Transportation
With an important enhancement of the easy system, Parking & Transportation Services announces that as of Friday March 1,2002, Commuter and Residential students may apply for current standard spring term parking permits via EASY. For more information contact David Voorhees at 305-689-5021.

Black Awareness Month

today
Communication Week & Greek Week

Fri 22nd Feb
Opening ceremonies for Greek Week at the Rathskeller from 4-8p.m.

Friday Groove from 11:30a.m.-1p.m.; “Tower of Power Ensemble”

Happy Hour at the Rat with a DJ from 4:30-8p.m.

African Students Association will have their General Meetings every other Friday for all students interested in being apart of their organization. Come learn about African Culture. Next meeting is today at 5p.m. in the UC room 241.

Black Alumni Homecoming Weekend from today to Feb 24. More information available at the Ibis Office UC215.

BAM’s “Hot on the Block” at Eaton Residential College from 3-5p.m.. Alumni and students are invited to participate in this stimulating, interactive discussion on the current issues affecting Black students, past and present.

BAM; Keynote Address: “Constructing Race: Unity in the ‘Black’ Community” featuring Dr. Oscar Dathorne, MBA/MPA ’83 at the Storer Auditorium. A Jazz reception will follow.

BAM; Comedy Jam. After keynote speaker, and jazz reception, kick back and relax at the Rathskeller with an evening of entertainment and laughs from 10p.m.-12a.m. .

Life Party tonight at 10p.m. at the Rathskeller-come party! They are celebrating Life! There will be music,
food, and fun

Miami Hot: Glass Studio Workshop and Public Lecture Series. You are invited to attend a lecture by Karen Willenbrink a prominent American Glass Artist from Mt. Vernon, Washington tonight at 7p.m. at the Lowe Art Museum. RSVP by Feb 15 at 305-284-2542.

BAM: “For colored girls who have considered suicide…when the rainbow is enuf” by Ntozake Shange is a play consisting of poetry and dance that will be shown tonight at 8p.m. at The Law School, room 309.

Sat 23rd Feb
Athletic Department and Intramurals; Papa John is sponsoring a Celebrity two-ball competition at the Miami Arena today during the men’s basketball game against Notre Dame. Participation is free to all UM students and faculty. Three contestants will be paired with a local celebrity. For more information call Derek Stocker at 305-284-2943.

Olympic Day from 11a.m. on the IM Field.

BAM; “The Right Connection,” Student-Alumni Networking Mixer at the Rathskeller from 11:30a.m.-1p.m.

BAM; Student- Alumni Picnic and Games at Tropical Park from 1:30-4p.m.

Greek Extravaganza ’02 “Step Show” at the James L. Knight Center tonight at 7p.m. Tickets available through Ticket Master for $20.

Sun 24th Feb
BAM; Jelly ‘N Jam Brunch at the Wellness Center from 11:30a.m.-1:30p.m.

Mon 25th Feb
Body Wise Week at the Wellness Center.

African Students Union is making their contribution to BAM today by showing a short documentary and having an open discussion: “Address African Stereotypes”.

Entry Deadline for Three Point Shootout today (See March 2nd).

BAM: African Student Union is having a brief documentary followed by a discussion and a question and answer session titled, “Addressing African Stereotypes,” today at 4p.m. For more information call Bibi Dublin-Green at 305-669-3125.

Tues 26th Feb
CAC film, “Pulp Fiction”

Public Relations Student Society of America is welcoming Stacy Stern, from the Special Events Group, at 4:30 p.m. in UC Ballroom B. Dues will also be collected.

Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. is having their Brother’s Appreciation Day tonight at 7:55p.m. at the Rat. The winner of the Man of the Year essay contest will be announced. The first place prize is dinner for two at CheeseCake Factory. (Applications for SGRho’s Man of the Year contest are available in the Ibis Office UC 215.)

Interfraternity Council is having their “Greek lunch on the Patio” today between 11a.m.-2p.m. There will be a special reserved area for Greek’s with entertainment and food specials! Wear your letters and come hang out with other members of the Greek community!

Wed 27th Feb
The 2002 Estelle & Emil Gould Humanities Lecture featuring “Churchill’s First 25 Years,” a lecture by The Honorable Celia Sandys (The granddaughter of Sir Winston Churchill) is today at 4p.m. in the Learning Center, room 110. For additional information call 305-284-5735. Light refreshments will be served.

Organized Cheer at 7p.m. on the UC Patio.

Games Night at RAT from 7-9p.m.

Fri 1st March
Friday Groove “Julie Patchouli,” 11:30a.m.-1p.m. on UC Patio

Happy Hour at the RAT from 4:30-1p.m., band/dj
Mystery Event from 6:30p.m. on the UC patio.

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...