HP sponsors bill to raise activity fee

The UM Student Government approved a bill last week to place a referendum sponsored by Hurricane Productions [HP] on the spring ballot to increase the student activity fee by $7.50.

This increased budget of about $108,000 will enable HP to raise the quality level of on-campus entertainment.

“We have to meet student expectations and provide good quality programs,” said Max Alvarez, secretary of HP.

HP said they are trying to provide the best entertainment possible but that it is very costly.

“We are doing our best, but the cost keeps rising and it’s hard to keep up with it on such a low budget,” Alvarez said.

“Other schools nationwide have budgets of several hundred thousand dollars, whereas UM has a $50,000 budget,” said Michael Johnston, the Speaker of the Senate.

HP says that $7.50 would normally buy you a movie ticket, whereas the budget increase will enable the organization to provide you with on-campus concerts (usually costing above $40), sneak previews, the latest movies, live music from local bands, and distinguished lecturers.

“We are trying to cater to everyone’s tastes. This campus is so diverse that it is very difficult to entertain everyone,” Alvarez said.

“Some people view it as a lot of money, but considering how much you would normally spend on a night out, it’s not much,” Johnston said.

The bill passed with a majority vote in the Senate.

“We are asking students to go out and vote for it, as it will enable us to provide them with first-class entertainment,” said Graham Micone, the HP representative who authored the bill.

“We hope that students realize that the future of on-campus entertainment depends on this,” Micone added.

Once the students vote, the referendum must be approved by Dr. Whitely, Vice-President for Students Affairs.

Voting will be held on Feb. 26, 27, and 28.

HP has many events lined up for this semester, including “Battle of the Bands” and a Source Fashion Nation Tour.

“It’s going to be one of the biggest things on campus,” said Maria Gomez, HP Chair.

The Fashion tour will be held on March 29th at 11 a.m. on the UC Patio. Corporate sponsors include Pepe Jeans, Adidas, 555, T&B Nation, and Sean John, and they will pick 25 male and 25 female models from UM.

From the nationwide finalists, two models will be chosen for a layout in Source magazine and one model will win a contract with Ford Modeling Agency.

At night there will be a hip-hop street gathering called “99 Jams,” a musical event with DJ Thaliks playing live.

HP is also hoping to bring the MTV Campus Invasion Tour featuring NickelBack to UM this April.

“We are still talking to MTV and nothing has been confirmed. It’s not a sure thing yet,” Micone said.

HP has received $1000 from the Student Government for this project and they have also approached Category 5, AGLO, and SAFAC.

The tour will cost them several thousand dollars and they are looking for funding.

“We don’t want a single bored student on campus. We want everyone to have a good time,” Alvarez said.

Runovr

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...