Yearbook staff decides to publish book next fall

In order to produce a better final product, the Ibis yearbook staff has pushed back the publication and distribution of its 2001-2002 edition.
The Ibis, usually distributed to University of Miami students in late April or early May, is now slated to appear in early September of 2002.
“This is a yearbook,” said Mark Puskarich, editor of the Ibis. “It’s supposed to cover the events of the year. It’s not going to be a six-month-book, as it has been in the past.”
“With a fall deadline we get more spring activities,” said Randy Stano, editorial advisor to the Ibis. “In particular, we can cover Funday, Religion Week, graduation, spring break and alternate spring break, news events that affect the campus in the spring and a complete scoreboard for the sports teams-which will be the first time that’s been done in, I think, 22 years.”
The yearbook will be distributed after Labor Day in the fall, just after Greek Recruitment for fall 2002, Stano said.
“They asked us to wait until after rush,” Stano said, “so that rushees wouldn’t look to find out what fraternities and sororities certain people were in.”
“We’ve included all the Greeks this year,” Stano said. “They hadn’t all been included in the last few years.”
Students around campus do not seem to mind waiting the extra few months for a better yearbook.
“I don’t mind waiting for the fall as long as they mail it to me,” said Joanna Wahl, a Biology student who graduated in December.
“I guess it’s a good idea,” said Karen Sloan, a senior majoring in journalism. “They can cover baseball if they win another National Championship. If the book is more complete, it’s okay.”
In the future, the Ibis staff plans to release the book in the fall again, Stano said.
“A lot of groups around campus are very active in the fall so we focus in on them and it’s not fair to the other groups we miss out on,” Puskarich said.
The 2001-2002 Ibis will have twice as many images as last year’s edition and for the first time will include underclassmen, Stano said.
The original submission deadline would have been Feb. 19, but with the changes, the new deadline will not be until after finals.
“This book will be very good-more images, more complete cutlines, and more text,” Stano said.
Seniors will have an opportunity to pick up a copy of the annual by registering online at www.miami.edu/ibis.
If registered before May 1, the book will be shipped free of charge directly from the printers.

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...