Yearbook staff decides to publish book next fall

In order to produce a better final product, the Ibis yearbook staff has pushed back the publication and distribution of its 2001-2002 edition.
The Ibis, usually distributed to University of Miami students in late April or early May, is now slated to appear in early September of 2002.
“This is a yearbook,” said Mark Puskarich, editor of the Ibis. “It’s supposed to cover the events of the year. It’s not going to be a six-month-book, as it has been in the past.”
“With a fall deadline we get more spring activities,” said Randy Stano, editorial advisor to the Ibis. “In particular, we can cover Funday, Religion Week, graduation, spring break and alternate spring break, news events that affect the campus in the spring and a complete scoreboard for the sports teams-which will be the first time that’s been done in, I think, 22 years.”
The yearbook will be distributed after Labor Day in the fall, just after Greek Recruitment for fall 2002, Stano said.
“They asked us to wait until after rush,” Stano said, “so that rushees wouldn’t look to find out what fraternities and sororities certain people were in.”
“We’ve included all the Greeks this year,” Stano said. “They hadn’t all been included in the last few years.”
Students around campus do not seem to mind waiting the extra few months for a better yearbook.
“I don’t mind waiting for the fall as long as they mail it to me,” said Joanna Wahl, a Biology student who graduated in December.
“I guess it’s a good idea,” said Karen Sloan, a senior majoring in journalism. “They can cover baseball if they win another National Championship. If the book is more complete, it’s okay.”
In the future, the Ibis staff plans to release the book in the fall again, Stano said.
“A lot of groups around campus are very active in the fall so we focus in on them and it’s not fair to the other groups we miss out on,” Puskarich said.
The 2001-2002 Ibis will have twice as many images as last year’s edition and for the first time will include underclassmen, Stano said.
The original submission deadline would have been Feb. 19, but with the changes, the new deadline will not be until after finals.
“This book will be very good-more images, more complete cutlines, and more text,” Stano said.
Seniors will have an opportunity to pick up a copy of the annual by registering online at www.miami.edu/ibis.
If registered before May 1, the book will be shipped free of charge directly from the printers.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...