Student to intern with the Kennedys

UM junior Mary Clark was recently awarded a summer internship in Washington, D.C. to work on the campaign team for U.S. Senate candidate Mark Kennedy Shriver.

Only twenty students from the United States are awarded this internship.

Clark is double majoring in history and political science, with a goal to attend law school. Clark says she is very familiar with the Kennedy family.

“I love the Kennedys,” she said. “I am really looking forward to working directly with a member of that family.”

Clark will be performing numerous publicity duties for the campaign team, including making phone calls and going door-to-door with Shriver.

Clark will stay for free with democratic supporters who have opened their homes to interns in order to help the campaign.

There is no actual pay, but Clark said she does not mind.

“The experience is worth more than any amount of money they could offer me,” she says.

Clark got the internship only with UM’s help, she said.

“I wouldn’t even have known about the internship opportunity if I hadn’t gotten an e-mail about it from the University,” she said. She applied for the internship online after reading about it in a school-wide e-mail.

Gregory Singleton, Assistant Dean of Students, wrote her a recommendation.

“I’m the only reason she got the internship!” Singleton joked. “No, really, Mary has all the characteristics needed for a project like this, and lots of leadership experience. I had nothing but positive things to say about her.”

Clark said the real reason she got the internship was because of the leadership skills she obtained while at UM.

She is a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, current vice-president of Panhellenic, co-chair of Greek Week, and has served on UM’s Senate.

“Mary is a proven leader in the Greek community. In addition, she is an outstanding student leader,” Singleton said.

These activities indicate that Clark possesses the exact qualities needed for this kind of internship: public relations skills, a knowledge of politics and law, and a good work ethic, Clark said.

“I owe it all to UM,” she said. “My professors, friends, and older student role models helped me develop my leadership skills in so many ways.”

Clark said she especially admires Jose “Pepi” Diaz, president of UM student government.

“Pepi is such a great role model. He is involved in everything and does it all well,” Clark said.

Diaz was accepted early admission to Columbia law school, which is also Clark’s graduate school of choice.

“I’m hoping this internship will give me the leading edge when I’m applying to grad school,” she said.

Clark plans to study intellectual property, or copyright law. She will begin her internship in May.

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Assuming he follows through on his commitment to the University of Miami, Class of 2019 tight end La ...

For those University of Miami fans praying that redshirt freshman N'Kosi Perry unseats veteran ...

Oklahoma sophomore guard Kameron McGusty and Wyoming freshman guard Anthony Mack are transferring to ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

Freshman Chris McMahon delivered eight dominant innings on the hill in his second collegiate start, ...

Michelle Atherley kicked off the women's heptathlon at the Bryan Clay Invitational with an exce ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Malik Rosier entered the spring as the incumbent, but a trio of quarterbacks are pushing him as the ...

University of Miami head rowing coach Dave Sanderson announced Wednesday the signing of Catherine No ...