Sports Briefs

SWIMMING
Freshman Katalin Ferenzci won the 100-yard backstroke in 57.45 seconds, breaking the school record and leading the UM women to victory over Indian River Community College in Ft. Pierce, Florida. The Miami women won 139-100 while the UM men’s team lost 94-54. Ferenzci’s mark was .13 of a second faster than Amey Bosseler’s previous record of 57.58. The freshman from Hungary also won the 200-yard IM with a time of 2:08.10. Freshman Mary Carriere set the team’s fastest time this season in the 1650-yard freestyle at 18:06.05. Other first-place finishes for the Hurricanes included sophomore Courtney Caples in the 100-yard breast (1:05.82) and sophomore Manon van Rooijen in the 100-yard freestyle (51.00) and 200-yard freestyle (1:51.26). For the Miami men, juniors Kevin Kerrick and Ryan Rykaczewski set the team’s fastest times this season at the meet. Kerrick won the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:42.58 while Rykaczewski took the 200-yard fly with a time of 1:54.75.

DIVING
The Miami men’s and women’s diving team dominated the open competition of the All-Star Diving Invitational in Orlando on Saturday and Sunday. Sophomore Michelle Davison won the women’s 3-meter event with a score of 500.4 topping a field of 26 competitors. She was followed by fellow teammates Katie Beth Bryant in third place (462.35) and Melanie Rinaldi in fifth (439). In the women’s 1-meter competition, Davison was second with a score of 249.45 while Rinaldi finished third (242.4) and Bryant fourth (240.9). Senior Imre Lengyel captured first place in the men’s 3-meter event with a score of 666.55 over 24 competitors as freshman Miguel Velazquiz finished third (618.70), junior Kyle Prandi fourth (616.65) and senior Stefan Ahrnes fifth (608). Lengyel finished second in the 1-meter with a score of 364.75 with Ahrens third (360.35), Prandi fifth (332.4) and Velazquez sixth (305.9).

WOMEN’S GOLF
University of Miami freshman Tina Miller (Miami, Fla.) shot a 148 and finished tied for sixth place at the UCF Invitational at the Stoneybrook Country Club in Orlando on Tuesday. Miller shot 75 in the opening round and 73 in the final round to finish four over par and tied with Katie Allison of Winthrop. Following Miller, other top Hurricane scores included sophomore Camilla Hilland with 151 in a tie for 11th and sophomore Jazmin Cataldo with 155 in a tie for 23rd.

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...