Problems delay Ryder Center opening

As the jumble of concrete and steel on the east side of campus finally begins to resemble what will soon be UM’s new athletic center, minor problems in construction cause a minor delay in scheduling.

According to Mark Pray, Assistant Athletic Director for Communications, problems with attaining steel for the installation of the roof of the Ryder Center have caused delays in the work schedule of the construction crew.

“There are going to be things that come up,” Pray said, explaining that small problems are routine with large projects.

“[The lack of steel is] slowing the roof being put on in its entirety,” Pray said, “but it will not really have any effect on the total project.”

The target date for the opening of the Ryder Center was scheduled for fall 2002, but the date has been postponed until late this year or early 2003, Pray said.

The Ryder Center may not be finished in time to host the beginning of the Men and Women’s 2002-03 basketball seasons as they begin in November.

Pray said the future home of Hurricane Basketball will definitely be ready before the end of the season though.

Although the construction has come a long way since it first began in April 2001, many more adjustments need to be made.

Workers will finish other projects while waiting on delays in the roofing process, Pray said.

The Ryder Center, slated to be the future centerpiece of the campus and a valuable link between the University of Miami and the South Florida community, will be the first sports arena located on campus.

In addition to hosting home basketball games, the center will be used for academic and community

events.

With a total area of 196, 800 square feet, the Ryder Center will offer 7,000 seats, 1,000 of which will be available for students with hopes of attracting more student interest in both men and women’s basketball in upcoming seasons.

After years of traveling downtown to the Miami Arena for basketball games, the Ryder Center will provide the University with one of the top five facilities in the nation and a place for the Hurricane Basketball program to finally call home.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...