Women’s tennis undefeated

Miami rolled into Friday’s match against Mississippi State flying high and undefeated at 3-0. The Bulldogs hobbled into the Neil Shiff Tennis Center just days after an embarrassing 7-0 loss to Tulane.
As expected, The ‘Canes took care of business from the opening volley of doubles play and dominated the Bulldogs all afternoon. When it was all said and done, the University of Miami women’s tennis team remained undefeated by destroying State 6-1.
Miami (4-0) won all three doubles matches and took six of seven in singles competition for the easy win.
“I was very impressed with the way the girls played against Mississippi State,” UM coach Paige Yaroshuk said. “Sometimes when we play opponents that aren’t necessarily at our level, which was the case with Mississippi State, sometimes one or two players lower their games and kind of play to their opponent’s level. And (Friday) we didn’t have one player that did that.”
Two players who refuse to play at the opponent’s level are Miami’s leaders – senior Marcy Hora and sophomore transfer Mari Toro.
The twosome took down a Bulldog team led by stand out Caole Soubis.
“I think our best thing is that when one of us is not having a good day we don’t get down on each other,” Hora said. “If I’m not having a good day (Toro) steps it up a level and she takes over and that’s the best part of it.
“We feel the same things on the court.”
In singles competition, Miami dominated, only losing one match by default. Highlighting singles play was each team’s No. 1 competitor. Toro defeated Soubis in three sets, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4.
“I wasn’t playing my best tennis, but I got the job done,” Toro said. “I got the ‘W’.
“She has the style of game that can drive people absolutely insane,” Yaroshuk said. “She never gives up on a point. She never gives up on a ball, and she’s improving… Every time I see her, she’s playing better and better, and she was a good player to start with.”
Miami was scheduled to play No. 3 Florida on Saturday, but the match was canceled due to rain. Hora was disappointed about not getting a chance at the Gators.
“We were ready,” she said. “We were psyched mentally and physically, and we knew we had a big chance.”
Miami next plays at Florida International tomorrow.
“FIU is going to be a good match for us simply because they’re a strong team,” Yaroshuk said. “That’s going to be our first away match of the season. They always get fired up to play us because we’re obviously a cross town rival.”

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...