To valentine or not? Part 2

One might think that Valentine’s Day is this wonderfully sweet holiday on which you tell someone I love you, and give them flowers, a card, or even a box of chocolates. But the truth behind Valentine’s Day is much more darker, much grimmer. The societal pressure on single individuals, the expectation that everyone must have a mate, can be overwhelming. The countless number of TV commercials pushing people to buy presents, the red colored hearts plastered around shops, radio announcements and table-for-two restaurant seem to say: “If you don’t have someone, you’re a loser.”
On Valentine’s Day, some may not be as lucky, or unlucky (depending on your view), to have someone special in their life. Those who do not have someone with whom to share this day are left wondering just why they do not have someone special in their lives. There are of course many questions also. Who was St. Valentine anyway? And further more, why was he a saint?
There are varying opinions as to the origin of Valentine’s Day. Some historical accounts refer to Valentine as a Christian priest who was executed on Feb. 14 270 A.D. after he defied Claudius the Goth. Legend also says that St. Valentine had left a farewell note for the jailer’s daughter, who had become his friend, and signed it “From Your Valentine”. Yet another story says Valentine was a bishop from Terni who was executed on Feb. 14 270 A.D. In 496 A.D. Pope Gelasius set aside Feb. 14 to honor St. Valentine.
Commercial valentines were introduced in the 1800’s and now the date is very commercialized. In the United States, Esther Howland receives the credit for manufacturing the first valentine cards. Maybe we should look at the real possibility that Valentine’s Day was a conspiracy created by card companies to create a larger profit during a time of the year where business slows down immensely and does not really pick up again till mid-May. Thus, Valentine’s Day could be considered a cruel way for corporate bigwigs to amuse themselves back at Hallmark Inc. They may even sit back laughing at the fact that they created this fallacy of a holiday and we all so foolishly bought into it. For those who swear by this sacred day in February, this is a concept that has never crossed their minds. Maybe back when Valentine’s Day began, or the rumors of St. Valentine and his hopeless love for his one and only started to circulate, people needed to believe that as companions they had this day all to themselves. People get engaged, married, and lose their virginity all in the name of the honored saint. I’m sure all of us know someone who has done all of the above. Others go out with our single friends for a girls’ or guys’ night out. Yet many sit at home with an utter feeling of despair. Valentine’s Day might be as sweet as one may say, but what good is a day designated to something that causes happiness when the day itself causes so much misery?
Denise Kolb is a sophomore majoring in criminology.

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Assuming he follows through on his commitment to the University of Miami, Class of 2019 tight end La ...

For those University of Miami fans praying that redshirt freshman N'Kosi Perry unseats veteran ...

Oklahoma sophomore guard Kameron McGusty and Wyoming freshman guard Anthony Mack are transferring to ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

Freshman Chris McMahon delivered eight dominant innings on the hill in his second collegiate start, ...

Michelle Atherley kicked off the women's heptathlon at the Bryan Clay Invitational with an exce ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Malik Rosier entered the spring as the incumbent, but a trio of quarterbacks are pushing him as the ...

University of Miami head rowing coach Dave Sanderson announced Wednesday the signing of Catherine No ...