No. 11 Hurricanes falter on national stage

The Miami Hurricanes failed to show a national audience Sunday afternoon that they deserve to be among the top teams in the country, as they came out flat and were dominated by Big East foe Boston College.
The Eagles defeated the No. 11 Hurricanes 76-63, in a contest marked by BC’s ability to hit open jump shots and run down loose balls.
The backcourt of Troy Bell and Ryan Sidney continued to give Miami trouble. Bell scored 24 points and Ryan Sidney added 23 points and nine rebounds to lead the Eagles to their second win over the Hurricanes in 13 days.
The loss dropped Miami (20-4, 7-4 in the Big East) out of first place in the East Division of the conference and one-half game behind Connecticut, who lost on Saturday to St. John’s. Half of Miami’s losses have come against Boston College (16-7, 5-5).
In the first meeting at the Miami Arena on January 29, Bell and Sidney led the Eagles to a 70-65 victory with 25 and 18 points, respectively. Boston College has swept the season series the last two seasons from Miami.
Marcus Barnes had 13 of his 16 points in the first half. John Salmons had 16 points and Darius Rice added 15 points on 5-of-13 shooting.
The Eagles used a strong rebounding advantage to open with a 32-15 lead, 15 minutes into the game. Miami closed the half with an 8-2 run, but still trailed 34-23.
The Eagles lead was cut to 56-47 on two Rice free throws with 7:27 to go, but Bell answered with a three-pointer and the ‘Canes struggled to respond. Miami would never get within eight points the rest of the game.
Boston College outrebounded Miami 41-27 for the game, including 14 on the offensive glass.
Miami struggled in the frontcourt, as center Elton Tyler was just 1-of-7 from the field for three points. James Jones scored six points on 2-of-9 shooting.
Miami continues Big East play tomorrow night against St. John’s at the Miami Arena.

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...