News Briefs and Campus Calendar

n register to re-take yearbook photos
All organizations need to go the new IBIS Yearbook website (www.miami.edu/ibis) and register to re-take their yearbook photos. The yearbook staff will contact you with your scheduled time. Photos will take place from February 11-15 from 9 am- 4 pm and will take approximately 20 minutes per group. FYI, if you have applied for SAFAC money and fail to show up for your picture, you will forfeit your SAFAC money. Please contact the yearbook staff if you have any further questions.

n Ambassador of belarus to speak on campus
The Ambassador of the Republic of Belarus, H.E. Valery V. Tsepkalo, will give a speech at the University of Miami. The Ambassador will discuss the current situation in Belarus, Belarus’ relationship to the former Soviet countries, and Belarus’ perspective on terrorism. Students and faculty are welcome to join us on February 11 at 10:30 a.m at the Faculty Club Patio Room.

Black Awareness Month

Today
Friday Grove on UC Patio from 11:30am-1pm “Fathead”.

Senior orientation from 2-3pm at Toppel Career Center library.

Applications for Orientation Coordinator are due today at 5pm in UC236.

Happy Hour at the Rathskeller from 4:30-8pm- Erica Summers.

Today is the last day to apply for graduation for Spring 2002

Deadline to order your cap and gown through the Toppel Career Center is today.

Saturday 9 February
The National Association of Latino Arts and Culture is having its first regional meeting in Florida beginning at 9 a.m. today at the University Center. The regional meetings convene throughout the nation to assist in strengthening local networks of Latino arts and cultural organizations and provide an opportunity for Latino arts and cultural organizations to come together for a one-day meeting to share information, develop strategies and develop working collaborations. The registration form is available at http://www.nalac.org/home.html.

Monday 11 February
The 29th Anniversary of the Rathskeller. There will be specials and giveaways all week so come by and check them out.

The Ambassador of the Republic of Belarus, H.E. Valery V. Tsepkalo, will give a speech at the University of Miami. The Ambassador will discuss the current situation in Belarus, Belarus’ relationship to the former Soviet countries, and Belarus’ perspective on terrorism. Students and faculty are welcome to join us today at 10:30 a.m at the Faculty Club Patio Room.

Tuesday 12 February
CAC film at the Cosford Cinema-“Shallow Hal”.

Do you enjoy film, cultural events, food, and more? Join UM’s French Club (no language skills required). Our next meeting will be today at 5:30pm in UC 241. Elections for new officers will be held-Come get involved! If you can’t make it, e-mail umfrenchclub@hot.mail.com.

Delta Sigma Pi, one of the nation’s largest professional business fraternities is tabling for recruitment. They will also be hosting an informational meeting today from 6-7:30pm in UC237.

The Miami Hillel will hold its 4th annual Bid for the Bachelor fundraiser tonight at 8pm.

Wednesday 13th February
Karaoke Night at Rathskeller 7-9pm.

CAC & BAM film at the RAT, “The Wiz” at 9pm.

Legacy CD, make your own CD 11-5pm Lower Lounge.

Workshop: Managing midterms, term papers, and projects at 1pm.

Thursday 14 February
Lonely hearts comedy jam at Rathskeller at 9-11pm.

Workshop: Managing midterms, term papers, and projects at 12:30pm.

Study Abroad information session in UC Flamingo Ballroom A, 12-2pm today. Receive Valentine’s Day rose and hear from past participants about their adventure. For details contact 305-284-3434 or come by Allen hall 212.

Friday 15th February
Friday Grove on UC Patio from 11:30am-1pm-Rhumboogie.

Happy Hour at the Rathskeller from 4:30-8pm.

Today is the last day to apply for Summer 2002 graduation and have your name included in the Commencement Book.

Saturday 16th February
Funday! Check-in on UC center patio.

The UM Equestrian Team is hosting its second annual IHSA Hunter Competition, at Tropical Park,today. The show will begin at 9 a.m. and runs all day. Admission is free and the show is open to the public. If you would like more information, contact Maria Angeles Linares at
305-284-2237 or e-mail mailto:mlinares@miami.edu.

Sunday 17th February
WWF No way out! At the Rathskeller from 7-9pm.

Monday 18th February
The Department of Psychology is hosting its second annual Community Lecture Series: Psychology in Film. The next film and discussion will be Tuesday’s with Morrie at the Storer Auditorium in the Business School. For more information call Undergraduate Academic Services for Psychology at 305-284-3303 or visit www.psy.miami.edu.

Info Fair and Sex Carnival today from 11am-4pm at the UC Patio. Come out and join the condom taste test or one of the other many games!

Quilts Processional today at 10:45am at the Rock-come and carry a quilt made to recognize someone who has died from the aids virus.

Tuesday 19th February
CAC film, “Monster’s Inc”.

Candlelight Vigil, today at 7pm at the Rock-join us for a quiet moment of reflection upon the lives of those living with aids, those we have lost to aids, and to renew a sense of advocacy and activism.

Wednesday 20th February
Comedian at the Rathskeller at 9pm.

A week for Life will host Jeanne White, the mother of Ryan White who became the face of AIDS in the 1980’s as one of the earliest reported child cases of the disease. Students, faculty and staff are invited to come and hear her speak today at the Wesley Foundation at 8pm.