‘Funday in the U.S.A’ coming to campus

For the 21st time in the University of Miami’s history, students will buddy up with special needs citizens for Funday.
Student volunteers from the university are paired up with people who have special needs.
The theme this year is “Funday in the U.S.A.”
“The special citizens look forward to this event all year. They are the ones who benefit from this program,” said Brooke Etzel, Funday co-chair.
This not-for-profit event starts with the opening ceremonies, and then continues with a carnival, arts and crafts, mystery theatre and a barbecue.
The buddies are given similar colored shirts and then enjoy a day filled with food, music and activities playing games, bouncing around in the jumping castle, and getting their faces painted.
There will be a DJ on the Rock and a band on the UC patio.
President Donna Shalala will address the crowd and participate in a cake cutting ceremony celebrating Funday’s 21st anniversary.
Miss UM, Erin Fowler, will be singing the national anthem and the ROTC band will be playing.
There will be some 350 special citizens participating in the event this year.
But more student volunteers are needed, Etzel said.
If anyone would like to sign up they can do so by calling 284-GIVE and speaking to a representative. Funday will take place on Saturday Feb. 16 from noon to 5 p.m.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...