Faculty Club on the move

Starting in the fall semester of 2002, the faculty of the University of Miami will have a new, more centralized club for their exclusive use.
For some time, the faculty has been voicing their opinion, “requesting to have a more centralized club that they can get to easier” said Faculty Club manager Tom Dalgan. While their requests went unanswered by former university president Edward T. Foote, current president Donna Shalala has taken the initiative to help faculty members.
In a meeting this past September, President Shalala made the decision to design a new Faculty Club in the south end of the existing patio food court.
“A wall will be constructed near the Panda Express on the far end of the food court,” said Dalgan. “There will be hardwood floors and a first class catering service.”
Once a popular hangout, in the past few years faculty members have not been able to fully utilize their club at its current location.
Near the corner of Brescia Ave. and Red Rd., down the street from the fraternity houses, the less-than-ideal-location for the current Faculty Club is difficult for faculty members to get to.
Without giving up their coveted parking spaces, UM faculty members can either walk or take the shuttle to reach the clubhouse. Since most faculty members are not thrilled about the idea of walking across campus in midday Miami heat, the club is rarely used to its maximum potential.
Founded in 1966, the club still operates to its original intention, serving as the faculty’s dining hall during the day, but also is privately contracted as a banquet hall in the evening and on weekends for parties, weddings, and conferences.
Construction will begin in May and will run all summer, the new club will be open in late August, Dalgan said.
Since the club will be remodeled in the far end of the food court-which goes unused most of the time-few students will be affected by the change, Dalgan said.
All of the operating vendors like Starbucks and Burger King will remain at their current locations.
As for the present Faculty Club, it is to become a full time banquet hall, serving interested parties with their well-trained staff and first class food service.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...