Faculty Club on the move

Starting in the fall semester of 2002, the faculty of the University of Miami will have a new, more centralized club for their exclusive use.
For some time, the faculty has been voicing their opinion, “requesting to have a more centralized club that they can get to easier” said Faculty Club manager Tom Dalgan. While their requests went unanswered by former university president Edward T. Foote, current president Donna Shalala has taken the initiative to help faculty members.
In a meeting this past September, President Shalala made the decision to design a new Faculty Club in the south end of the existing patio food court.
“A wall will be constructed near the Panda Express on the far end of the food court,” said Dalgan. “There will be hardwood floors and a first class catering service.”
Once a popular hangout, in the past few years faculty members have not been able to fully utilize their club at its current location.
Near the corner of Brescia Ave. and Red Rd., down the street from the fraternity houses, the less-than-ideal-location for the current Faculty Club is difficult for faculty members to get to.
Without giving up their coveted parking spaces, UM faculty members can either walk or take the shuttle to reach the clubhouse. Since most faculty members are not thrilled about the idea of walking across campus in midday Miami heat, the club is rarely used to its maximum potential.
Founded in 1966, the club still operates to its original intention, serving as the faculty’s dining hall during the day, but also is privately contracted as a banquet hall in the evening and on weekends for parties, weddings, and conferences.
Construction will begin in May and will run all summer, the new club will be open in late August, Dalgan said.
Since the club will be remodeled in the far end of the food court-which goes unused most of the time-few students will be affected by the change, Dalgan said.
All of the operating vendors like Starbucks and Burger King will remain at their current locations.
As for the present Faculty Club, it is to become a full time banquet hall, serving interested parties with their well-trained staff and first class food service.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...