Desaparecidos Appeared & Conquered

Standing close to the front, anyone could have been blown away by the explosion that rocked the stage. For the approximately 40 minutes that they played, the indie rock group Desaparecidos intensely devoted themselves to the audience that came to see them shine and strived to not disappoint. They have worked arduously for a year to make music that matters and for the past month attempted it to bring it home.
The Omaha, Neb.-natives Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes mastermind),vocals and guitars, Denver Dalley, guitar, Landon Hedges, bass, Ian McElroy, keyboards, and drummer Matt Baum released their debut album under the Saddle Creek label, titled Read Music/Speak Spanish last Friday at Revolver, a club located a few blocks away from Sunset Place.
The album touches and criticizes intensely and frankly the topics of over-commercialism, suburban values and society in America. Desaparecidos, which translated from Spanish means “the disappeared,” has also decided to focus on the Hispanic culture, because, according to Dalley, “Hispanics have a lot of influence in America and we grew up in neighborhoods with many Latin people.”
The band members are currently in the middle of a month-long cross country tour; something they fully enjoy.
“I love touring; it is the most fun thing I could imagine,” said Malley.
And so on Friday night, it was South Miami’s turn to host the group. Local act Poulain, who received a lot of positive feedback from the audience, opened the show with an acoustic set of beautiful and delicate songs. The Athens, Ga. dark melodic pop rock group Now it’s Overhead followed with powerful and dense tracks, which incited the crowd, and the typical enigmatic, yet raw attitude of a rock and roll band.
At about 1:30 a.m., Desparecidos took the stage. Hedges’ childish comments, Baum’s rowdy remarks, the keyboardist’s mysterious, shy attitude, guitarist Dalley’s rock star pose, and Oberst’s control over the crowd complemented each other to perfection. Despite a few troubles with the instruments, wet floor and group coordination, the band fulfilled the expectations of everyone that went to see them. Desaparecidos played songs from their new album, including the standout tracks The Happiest Place on Earth, $$$$, and Ma

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...