Desaparecidos Appeared & Conquered

Standing close to the front, anyone could have been blown away by the explosion that rocked the stage. For the approximately 40 minutes that they played, the indie rock group Desaparecidos intensely devoted themselves to the audience that came to see them shine and strived to not disappoint. They have worked arduously for a year to make music that matters and for the past month attempted it to bring it home.
The Omaha, Neb.-natives Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes mastermind),vocals and guitars, Denver Dalley, guitar, Landon Hedges, bass, Ian McElroy, keyboards, and drummer Matt Baum released their debut album under the Saddle Creek label, titled Read Music/Speak Spanish last Friday at Revolver, a club located a few blocks away from Sunset Place.
The album touches and criticizes intensely and frankly the topics of over-commercialism, suburban values and society in America. Desaparecidos, which translated from Spanish means “the disappeared,” has also decided to focus on the Hispanic culture, because, according to Dalley, “Hispanics have a lot of influence in America and we grew up in neighborhoods with many Latin people.”
The band members are currently in the middle of a month-long cross country tour; something they fully enjoy.
“I love touring; it is the most fun thing I could imagine,” said Malley.
And so on Friday night, it was South Miami’s turn to host the group. Local act Poulain, who received a lot of positive feedback from the audience, opened the show with an acoustic set of beautiful and delicate songs. The Athens, Ga. dark melodic pop rock group Now it’s Overhead followed with powerful and dense tracks, which incited the crowd, and the typical enigmatic, yet raw attitude of a rock and roll band.
At about 1:30 a.m., Desparecidos took the stage. Hedges’ childish comments, Baum’s rowdy remarks, the keyboardist’s mysterious, shy attitude, guitarist Dalley’s rock star pose, and Oberst’s control over the crowd complemented each other to perfection. Despite a few troubles with the instruments, wet floor and group coordination, the band fulfilled the expectations of everyone that went to see them. Desaparecidos played songs from their new album, including the standout tracks The Happiest Place on Earth, $$$$, and Ma

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...