Hot Rice keeps the Hurricanes cooking

Darius Rice finds it difficult to go unnoticed on and off the court.
Not only does he share the last name of NFL legend, Jerry Rice, but he also wears red Jordan’s as opposed to the teams’ choice of green shoes.
More notably, however, is the fact that Rice is an All-America candidate and an ominous force of the Hurricane men’s basketball team for the second consecutive season.
He is also one of 30 preseason nominees for the 2001-02 Naismith College Basketball Player of the Year Award.
At a towering 6-10, the sophomore starter ironically excels at the small forward position. He is explosive all over the court, but outside shots are his specialty. This season Rice is one of the Big East’s top three-point shooters.
“Rice obviously contributes to the offensive effort, averaging an impressive 15.2 points per game, but it doesn’t stop there. He is really expanding his game and becoming a very well-rounded player,” UM coach Perry Clark said.
This type of talent, according to Rice, didn’t come naturally with his adolescent growth spurt. Instead he perfected his technique by practicing with thousands of shots per day.
“I would just shoot- in the paint, out of the paint- all day long. Repetition helped me reach this level. You know how they say ‘practice makes perfect’, well it’s true,” said Rice.
His height, on the other hand, happens to be a natural advantage.
“I appreciate my height the most on defense. When I guard other players it’s easier for me to get in their faces. I guess I am a step ahead,” said Rice.
He leads the team in scoring and three-point field goal percentage and is also ranked second in rebounding.
Against Villanova, Rice posted his second-straight 30-point game and had 10 rebounds, one assist and one steal.
As for the loss to Boston College, Rice is over it. He was held to 16 points and went 1-for-9 from 3-point range. Focusing on the next challenge en route to the Final Four is more important.
This Saturday the Hurricanes will face Caron Butler and the UConn Huskies, who are 14-3 overall and 6-0 in the Big East. In last month’s match-up, the ‘Canes came up short 75-76.
“The UConn game is a huge threat to us. Butler and I will be going head to head,” said Rice. “We can’t be satisfied with an 18-3 record, but it’s also a very long season. We have the opportunity to pick up the rest of our games and make it to the postseason,” Rice said.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...