Women’s tennis off to 2-0 start in the spring

The University of Miami’s tennis teams finished their opening weekend on a positive note as the No. 37 ranked women’s team (2-0) defeated Barry University, 5-2, and the No. 18 ranked men’s team (1-1) defeated University of South Alabama, 4-3.
The women’s team recorded its first victory of the season against Florida Atlantic University on Friday, with a 5-2 win.
The Lady ‘Canes took the doubles point after a dominating performance by Miami senior Marcy Hora and freshman Staci Stevens, who defeated FAU’s Maria Aguirre-Gomez and Tania Rivera at the No. 1 spot (8-1).
Hurricane sophomores Sara Robbins and Sihem Bennacer easily won their match, as well, defeating FAU’s Stephanie Beaulieu and Jessica Burrow at No. 3 doubles (8-1).
The women took four out of the six singles matches on Friday, including a 6-0, 6-4 victory for Stevens over Rivera at No. 2 singles. Miami newcomer Ewelina Skaza had a comeback victory against Beaulieu at the No. 4 spot (1-6, 6-2, 6-2).
On Saturday, the women’s team defeated Barry University despite losing at No. 1 and No. 2 singles.
Once again, the women’s doubles were highlighted by the sophomore team of Robbins and Bennacer after they shut out Barry’s team of Bojana Miladinovic and Valeria Papandrea (8-0).
The men began their season Thursday night with a disappointing 4-3 loss to No. 48 FAU.
Even though the Miami senior squad of Tomas Smid and Jose Lieberman defeated FAU’s team of Andre Bauzzoni and John Johnson (8-3) in the No. 1 spot, the Hurricanes lost the doubles point after junior Andrew Golub and freshman Andrew McDade fell to FAU’s Doug Devriendt and Cristian Paiz (9-8) in No. 2 doubles.
“The doubles point is critical,” said men’s head coach Jay Berger. “Now we know that we have to work a lot harder in doubles.”
Smid and No. 40 Miami freshman Todd Widom both won their singles matches 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 1 and No. 2 spots. Miami senior Joel Berman, however, lost the decisive singles match after shutting out FAU’s F. J. Schofield in the first set in No. 6 singles (6-0, 2-6, 4-6).
At the No. 5 spot, just like Berman, McDade lost his match despite shutting out Paiz in the first set (6-0, 1-6, 3-6).
After the loss, Coach Berger realized that they will need to work harder on other things besides doubles.
“The bottom line is, we played very poorly against FAU,” said Berger. “We’re getting our butts kicked at No. 5 and No. 6, and we have to fix that.”
Despite the tough loss to FAU, the Hurricanes stuck together and defeated No. 17 South Alabama after two three-set victories in singles.
“I like the way our players didn’t get down,” said Berger, referring to the win over South Alabama. “I think the FAU loss brought our team together and it’s given us a little more focus on what we need to do.”
Berger was pleased with the way Widom gutted out his three-set victory at No. 1 singles, after losing his second set with many unforced errors, and coming back to tie the team points at three apiece.
Golub would lead the Hurricanes to victory after his three-set win at No. 4 singles, despite facing lot of pressure.
“The thing I was most impressed with was (Golub),” said Berger. “Even with the match on the line, he wanted to be out there, he wanted to play.”

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...