Student’s hard work, dedication pays off

If you think that you are too busy and stressed out with school, think again. You have not met Asma Uddin.
Now a senior, Uddin proves that determination can lead to great accomplishments in anything you do.
She has recently won a statewide competition for her essay entitled “Dismantling Boundaries: A Defense of Max Black’s “Metaphor”” and was invited to speak on her essay at the Florida Collegiate Honors Conference on Feb. 26th.
On campus she is frequently on the President’s Honor Roll, has three majors, and is involved in numerous student organizations, several of which she started on her own.
“UM is what you make of it. You cannot rely on a school to determine your future. You must take the initiative,” said Uddin.
Involved in the Privileged Studies Program in the College of Arts and Science, Uddin will graduate summa cum laude in the Spring with a Bachelor of Arts and majors in Biology, English, and Religious Studies. After graduation, she will attend law school at the University of Chicago. Uddin aspires to go into patent law or become an academic.
Her leadership roles include: Vice President of Phi Beta Kappa, founder of Solutions, the umbrella organization of UM’s Book Club that concentrates on bringing together students and faculty to discuss various books, Newsletter Editor of the Islamic Society, founder and editor-in-chief of Cornerstone Islamic Literary Magazine and Literary Editor of the student-run INPRINT Literary and Entertainment Magazine.
Outside of school Uddin volunteers as a guardian ad litem for abused children through the Department of Children and Families.
She serves as a neutral third party advocate in court to help determine the best interest of children suffering from abuse or neglect.
“I am the mouthpiece for these children,” said Uddin.
She has also done an extensive two-year independent study on classical/qur’anic Arabic, interned at a law office, and has spent 133 hours studying Islamic texts through the Islamic Studies Program.
How does Uddin handle such a full platter?
“I was trained to be very statified,”she says.
Her days start at 8:30 am and end around 2:30 am. Uddin says she spends about 70% of her time doing school-related functions.
The remainder of her time goes to her family and fiance.
Fridays are Uddin’s “no homework” nights where she forces herself to do anything but work.
Since Uddin does not like to waste time, she keeps herself busy; but, she also knows when enough is enough.
Her advice to other students is to know your limits, and keep in mind your goals.
“Whatever your goals may be, be passionate about them. Be sincere in what you are doing. Do not do something just for the prestige,” said Uddin.
Uddin originally came to UM on a full scholarship after her parents told her she could not go to the University of Chicago.
She had ivy league dreams of going away for college, but decided to create her own ivy league here at UM when she was told she could not leave Miami.
“I have created my own ivy league here at UM by taking the best professors and more difficult classes,” said Uddin. “I have not limited myself to my major. I have taken classes in French, and Philosophy.”
Most importantly, Uddin lives to show that it does not matter where you are, but what you do with your time while you are there.
Uddin, 21, is of Pakistan decent and has lived in Miami her entire life.
She is the eldest of four children and comes from a strong religious background. Uddin says that her motivation is greatly attributed to her foundation in faith.
On an average semester she takes anywhere from 15 to 19 credits. Though, this semester Uddin is trying to take it easy, she says, considering that she is writing her honors thesis.

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...