Smoothie Solutions Where to go for a smoothie fix

Since Miami’s a hotbed, both a tourist trap and an actual hot region, trendy smoothie joints have been popping up in the past few years, cramming for diet-crazed, health-conscious, skinny girl/boy dollars. How does one chose among the various, similar chained smoothie stops, though? Well, here’s a list and a review of each.

Jamba Juice
Probably most close to home, Jamba Juice has become in the past year a campus staple. The waiting is long, the crowds huge, and the smoothies well, smooth. This is definitely one of the better smoothie joints in Miami, with many excellent flavors to chose from. I’d speculate it’s the addition of sherbet to many of the flavors that gives Jamba Juice that extra zing. Also included on Jamba’s menu are health conscious foods such as pretzels, power-bars, and soup – all excellent.

Sun Juice
Very similar to Jamba Juice, Sun Juice is located just past Sunset Place on Sunset Drive. Not exactly as health conscious as Jamba Juice (there’s less “Muscle Power Punch” drinks) yet still as tasty. It’s a worthy competitor, with drinks that taste almost identical to Jamba Juice. Sort of tucked away, Sun Juice is definitely worth a drive.

South Beach Smoothie
A smoothie place as overrated as its moniker, many people have raved about the deliciousness of South Beach Smoothie, yet I beg to disagree. What I tasted was pure, powdery, muscle-driven film. With so much “muscle” powder put into each smoothie, strawberry banana begins tasting like red chalk. Add unoriginal flavors to the mix, and you’ve got one of the worst smoothie joints in the biz.

Smoothie King
Here’s a place somewhere in between-boring and repetitive, yet not as filmy as South Beach Smoothie. While no Jamba Juice, Smoothie King has become a chain across the country. Recently I found out one opened in Providence (of all places). Its “Citrus Squeeze” and “Strawberry Banana” are hard to top (an extra dose of honey completes the flavors). Stay far away from the “specialties” that become muddled, varied, flavor messes.

Dunkin’ Donuts
Well, it’s a doughnut stop, but in the past few years it’s added so many coolatas to its menu to become a smoothie joint as well. The coffee coolata is the best (a frappuccino rip-off, for sure), yet even the fruit flavored ones hold up. Add grade-A doughnuts to wash down each smoothie (I’d recommend the classic jelly), and you’re set.

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...