News Briefs and Campus Calendar

n TODAY

The University of Miami Alumni Association is recruiting a select number of eager, responsible, and spirited students to become members of the UM AMBASSADORS, a growing influential group of student leaders dedicated to strengthening the link between students and alumni. As a UM Ambassador, you will have the unique opportunity to network and interact with members of the University’s alumni community while participating in activities throughout the year including Alumni Weekend/Homecoming, Pre-Game Parties, Alumni Club Activities, and the Second Annual Alumni Appreciation Week.
To become a member of the UM Ambassadors, students must meet the following criteria:
* Be a full-time student pursuing an undergraduate degree at UM.
* Carry a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA and be considered in good academic standing.
* Display leadership characteristics through involvement in other extracurricular activities.
* Be able to participate in the required number of activities and meetings of the organization.
* Submit a brief essay in conjunction with the application.
* Complete an interview process with the Office of Alumni Relations.
Applications are available now! Please contact Leslie Monreal in the Office of Alumni Relations at (305) 284-2872 or email lmonreal@miami.edu, or you can pick up an application at the UM Ambassadors Table in the UC Breezeway on Tuesday, Jan. 29 through Thursday, Jan. 31 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. If you would like more information on UM Ambassadors, an information session will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 30 at 3:00 p.m. in UC Room 233. Applications are due Monday, February 4! Good luck!

Today
CAC movie- Moulin Rouge

QuantUM wants you if you are interested in any aspect of film, entertainment or theatre. Informational meeting today at 6pm in the Flamingo Ballroom A or go to www.gotoquantum.com.

The intramural department needs basketball officials. It is holding an emergency officials’ training today at 5pm in the Wellness Center classroom. Students with or without work-study are needed. Starting wage is $6 per hour. For more information call 305-284-8518.

Wednesday 30 January
Last day to drop a class without a “W”.

Workshop: How to get work done and still have time for a life at 1pm.

Information session for UM Ambassadors in UC 233 at 3pm. This is a group that serves as the official liaison between UM students and the Alumni.

The next Smoking Cessation Program. Free to all UM insurance holders, will begin today. Call Jennifer Pinto at 305-243-3209 for more information.

“Once in a blue moon” at the Rathskeller from 9-12pm.

Attention all business majors or minors Alpha Kappa Psi, the professional business fraternity, will be having its spring recruitment. If you are interested in networking with business professionals nationwide, while making lasting friendships stop by our information session today at 7:30pm in the UC Ballroom. For more information contact Zoraya Davila at 305-502-5756.

Thursday 31 January
Workshop: How to get work done and still have time for a life at 12:30pm or 4pm.

The Tennis Club is having a general meeting today at 6:30pm in the Wellness Center classroom. Tennis players of all ages and levels are invited. Come and see what the hype is all about.

Come and meet Carlos Coto, class of ’88, who will be on campus to talk to students today at 4 p.m., in room 4028 of the Frances L. Wolfson Building. Carlos was the head writer for NBC’s “The Pretender,” has written for other television programs and films, and has a new series under consideration by network television. He’s currently in Miami to finish a script under contract for an HBO.

Friday 1 February
Black Awareness Month

Friday Grove on UC Patio from 11:30am-1pm.

Happy Hour at the Rathskeller from 4:30-8pm- Erica Summers.

Monday 4 February
Guns N Violence Awareness Campaign

Application deadline for UM Ambassadors.

Tuesday 5 February
Asian Music Students Concert (various artists) today at 8pm-10:30pm at Victor E. Clarke Recital Hall in the L. Austin Weeks Center. Admission is free.

CAC sneak peek at the Cosford Cinema from 9-11pm: Collateral Damage.

Wednesday 6 February
Open mic/ poetry night with BAM at the Rathskeller from 7-9pm.

Workshop: Getting the most from reading your textbooks at 1pm.

Tibetan Monks perform “Sacred Music and Sacred Dance for World Healing” tonight at 8pm in the Gusman Concert Hall. Doors open at 7:30pm, event is free to UM students while $5 for other students/seniors and $8 for general admission. VIP passes available in UC 206 (preferred seating). For more information contact Breana Burkett at 305-284-4606.

Karaoke Kraziness. A fun musical event in the Allen Hall courtyard from 12-1pm … we’re looking for all IEP students to participate. Talk to Maria in the IEP office for more information and lyrics to Karaoke songs. (This event is open to IEP students only.)

Join the Wellness Center today between 5-7pm in its Atrium for Healthy Heart Day, an event providing information to protect both aspects of your heart-physical and emotional. Information will be available on nutrition, healthy relationships, and preventing sexual transmitted infections and sexual assault. For more information call 305-284-6524.

Thursday 7 February
Workshop: Getting the most from reading your textbooks at 12:30pm.

Friday 8 February

Tuesday 12 February
CAC film at the Cosford Cinema.

Wednesday 13th February
Karaoke Night at Rathskeller

Workshop: Managing midterms, term papers, and projects at 1pm.

Thursday 14 February
Lonely hearts comedy jam at Rathskeller at 9-11pm.

Workshop: Managing midterms, term papers, and projects at 12:30pm.

Friday 15th February