The Indie Scene in Miami

Though people complain the music scene in Miami is all about Gucci flip-flops, Italian hair gel and the latest from Oakie and cohorts, the small indie electronic music scene is thriving in Miami.
Miami Bass lives on with the help of dedicated djs and the venues that support the scene, though ensconced within the urban sprawl, are teeming with intelligent alternative life. Just venture into South Beach’s Tanja on a Thursday to ease some of that jungle fix. The temperature at FM (Two Last Shoes) on Friday reaches triple digit category with the eclectic sounds of jungle and local bass, courtesy of top-notch djs who spin the music from a booth upstairs. One can also chill downstairs with some rare grooves and hip hop.
Poplife (Piccadilly Gardens) brings a gamut of local and foreign talent. Miami, host city of the Winter Music Conference and all its ,uberfamous djs, has a steady load of high-caliber but unsung djs from the US, UK and Europe. FM recently had Silicon Scally. Revolver also presents some nice surprises. Local acts Push Button Objects and Secret Frequency Crew recently performed there, as have a number of indie rock bands from in and out of state.
Revolver and Poplife are the kinds of places where one would go to assuage that nostalgia for the music of the 1980s and 1990s. On a good night, one can hear Human League, Billy Idol, The Smiths, Duran Duran, Soft Cell, and the usual suspects, as well as newer acts that wear out the needles on everyone’s record player, like Radiohead, the Gorillaz and the Strokes.
Speaking of the Strokes, their concert at BillboardLive is sold out, proof that Miami is ready for some real deal acts. One can also find an ample supply of information on the rave scene on the Internet. Though demand is stronger north of the county (in Ft. Lauderdale), Miami surprises sometimes. Miami-based DJ Craze is a household name, a reference for anyone who aspires to master the art of the “turntables and a mixer”.
Dozens of talented scratchers, such as DJ Marky- renowned London-based Brazilian junglist of the Movement crew- packed the Sci-Fly party on Jan. 19. So instead of complaining, whining that Miami is a musical wasteland, a bore next to Brooklyn and San Francisco, scope out the scene, and do something to improve it-much like the talented folk who are thriving in town.

Mauricio Vieira is a public relations graduate student in the School of Communication.

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...