Sports Briefs

WOMEN’S GOLF

University of Miami head women’s golf coach Lela Cannon was inducted into the National Golf Coaches Association Hall of Fame at the annual Hall of Fame Banquet on Wednesday, January 23 at the Sheridan World Resort in Orlando, FL. Cannon, entering her 19th season, has led the Hurricanes to 15 NCAA Tournament berths, six NCAA top-10 finishes and the 1984 National Championship. She has coached eight NCAA All-Americans including Tracy Kerdyk, the 1988 NCAA Player of the Year, and sent eight players onto the LPGA tour. Cannon’s student-athletes have been just as successful in the classroom. In 1986, Jill Briles became the first Academic All-American in women’s golf at UM. Joye McAvoy earned Academic All-America honors in 1988, and Shannon Hammel became the first Hurricane to earn Academic All-American honors two consecutive seasons in 1991 and 1992. Shayne Wild would better Hammel’s mark being named to the Academic All-America team in three consecutive seasons (1997, 1998, 1999). Cannon, a two-time South Region Coach of the Year, was featured in the book, Celebrating Women’s Coaches, A Biographical Dictionary. The book, which was released in 2001, profiles 42 of the world’s top female coaches.

WOMEN’S TRACK

The University of Miami women’s track and field team moved up to No. 16 in the Trackwire Online Top 25 rankings released Tuesday. The Hurricanes, who debuted at No. 25 in last week’s preseason poll, jumped nine spots after a strong showing at the Carolina Elite Invitational in Chapel Hill, NC. Freshman Lauryn Williams won for the second straight week posting the fastest time in the nation in the 60-meters (7.35). Williams set a UM record in winning the 55-meters at last weekend’s Florida Intercollegiate. She is currently the NCAA’s No. 1 ranked sprinter in the 60-meter dash. Senior All-American Kareen Clarke was also impressive in winning the triple jump with a leap of 12.91 meters (42-04.25). Clarke is undefeated in the triple jump this season. The defending Big East Champion, Clarke ranks No. 1 in the NCAA in the event. Miami’s 4×400-meter relay of senior Wylleseia Myrick, junior Saraque Whittaker, Jenise Winston and Jamillah Wade were also victorious at the Carolina Invitational winning with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 3:43.30

WOMEN’S

BASKETBALL

Sophomore Shaquana Wilkins won her first Big East honor after averaging 20.5 points and 10.5 rebounds in a pair of conference wins for the Miami women’s basketball team. Wilkins earned Big East Player of the Week after scoring a career-high 26 points on 11-of-17 field goals and added 10 rebounds off of the bench in a 75-71 overtime victory against Syracuse. In a 56-54 win over Seton Hall, Wilkins netted 15 points to go along with 11 rebounds, three blocks and three steals. Wilkins averages 7.7 points and 4.9 rebounds per game for the Hurricanes.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...