Dr. M. Lewis Temares receives recognition

When Computerworld Magazine published its list of the top 100 IT leaders for 2002, no one who worked with UM’s Dean Lew Temares was surprised to see his name listed.
Dr. M. Lewis Temares, vice-president of Information Technology for the University of Miami and eight-year dean of the college of engineering, was also featured in a half-page article in Computerworld’s Jan. 2, 2002 issue.
Temares has been working as an IT leader at UM since 1983 when he set up a long range information system for the University, that is, the EASY system and other online campus tools that allowed teachers to post grades, homework, and updates about the University.
He is also responsible for having Ethernet and fiber-optic connections throughout the campus, giving students access to the Internet almost anywhere on campus.
“Our philosophy is that a student should be able to communicate electronically anywhere, anytime, to enhance their education,” he said.
The top 100 leaders were separated into five categories: Diplomats, Coaches, Innovators, Visionaries, and Strategists.
Dr. Temares is a strategist, known for “devising and implementing a well-thought-through plan”, wrote Computerworld Magazine.
A supposed weakness of strategists is a lack of concern for the individual and for quality of relationships.
Apparently, Dr. Temares does not fall into Computerworld’s typical weakness for Strategists.
When asked what characteristics he thinks are most important in a leader, he replied, “Appreciating your staff and nurturing them, having good focus, and crisis management skills.”
“Cost effective working and complete knowledge of your field also help,” Temares added.
Temares and his team also came out under their $15 million budget on their project to make ethernet and fiber-optic connections available on campus, a virtually unheard-of accomplishment.
“Keep all options open, in the least costly way.” he advised.
What other advice does this exceptional director have for up-and-coming leaders?
Number one: Never forget how important people are.
“Remember, the customer puts food on your dinner table. If you aren’t servicing someone, don’t expect to get paid.”
Secondly, value quality production over speed or flashiness.
“We don’t want to be the bleeding edge, but we absolutely want to be the leading edge.”
And lastly, surround yourself with good people.
“Hire people who can do the job better than you could. Don’t be afraid of smart people. They’ll make you look good.”
So what are the Dean’s plans now that he’s been named a superhero among the IT leaders?
“Follow Donna Shalala.” he said. “She has so many good ideas, I can’t help but like to work with her.”
President Shalala in return said that Dean Temares is not only a strategist, but an excellent diplomat.
Dean Temares was not expecting the Premier 100 IT Leaders Award, but was pleasantly surprised to receive it.
“It wasn’t my success,” he amended. “It was the success of my team, of all the people I work with.”
He will be honored in March for his technological and leadership accomplishments.

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Assuming he follows through on his commitment to the University of Miami, Class of 2019 tight end La ...

For those University of Miami fans praying that redshirt freshman N'Kosi Perry unseats veteran ...

Oklahoma sophomore guard Kameron McGusty and Wyoming freshman guard Anthony Mack are transferring to ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

Freshman Chris McMahon delivered eight dominant innings on the hill in his second collegiate start, ...

Michelle Atherley kicked off the women's heptathlon at the Bryan Clay Invitational with an exce ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Malik Rosier entered the spring as the incumbent, but a trio of quarterbacks are pushing him as the ...

University of Miami head rowing coach Dave Sanderson announced Wednesday the signing of Catherine No ...