Queen for a Day

The Ford Commitment to Kids Award was recently awarded to UM student, Jenna Edwards, Founder and President of Queen For a Day, a program that hosts tea parties and donates tiaras to terminally ill children throughout the United States.
Edwards, who has 13 years of pageant experience, is a Communication Studies and English major at UM.
The Queen For a Day program began in June 2000 after Edwards’ mother, Debbie, suggested the idea in her hometown of Jackson, Mississippi.
Since then, Queen For a Day has become a nationally recognized non-profit organization with chapters in Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Buffalo, Jackson, and Miami. Each chapter is run by area directors who work in close contact with Edwards.
There are approximately 50 chapters in Jackson, Mississippi, and 25 in Miami-that is, a total of 75 terminally ill children have received a tiara and a tea party.
“I believe this program has the potential to be a huge philanthropic endeavor that encompasses many cities and communities throughout the nation,” said Edwards.
Edwards has received a large response from pageant winners throughout the country who have donated their tiaras via Internet postings and word of mouth.
“It was a great idea to post announcements on the web,’ said Edwards. “The response has been incredible”.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...