Best Albums of 2001

1. The Strokes:
‘Is This It?’
The debut from this New York City band has brought back the hope in the rock and rollers’ heart that the future of music is here. Surrounded by well deserved hype and supported by stand out tracks such as Barely Legal and the first single Last Nite, The Strokes bring back the raw power of old school rock and roll and punk with a fresh new twist.

2. Ryan Adams: ‘Gold’

For a couple of years, this North Carolina alt country rocker has been making classy albums fronting his former band Whiskeytown, but the release of this album finally brings him directly to a wider audience. With charisma, poetic lyrics and immeasurable musical aptitude, Adams captivates, impresses, and romances even the most cynical. Songs like New York, New York and Somehow, Someday provide folk rock smart enough for the mind, yet soft enough for the soul.

3. Bob Dylan:
‘Love and Theft’

4. Bjork: ‘Vespertine’

Another instant classic by music’s most daring female artist. An almost immaculate collection of songs that combine Bjork’s piercing vocals and unique electronic vision with a beautiful feel.

5. New Order:
‘Get Ready’
It’s a general misconception that dance-electronic music cannot be smart and creative, and be fun at the same time. Old school New Wavers bring dance music for the thinking man.

6. Rufus Wainwright:
‘Poses’

He has been described to Jeff Buckley on the piano, and this sophomore effort proves that the comparison is not too farfetched. Few current artists evoke so much profound emotion in most part due to a blessed operatic voice and biographical lyrics.

7. Stephen Malkmus:
‘Stephen Malkmus’

8. Manu Chao Proxima :
‘Estacion: Esperanza’

On his own, the multi-lingual former frontman for Mano Negra, has been able to combine African and Caribbean reggae sounds with synthesizers and to make world music intelligent and accessible enough for everyone.

9. O Brother Where
Art Thou?
Soundtrack
The movie by the Coen Brothers single-handedly brought back the roots of popular music back to America. Legends like Stanley Brothers coupled with more contemporary singers like Allison Krauss and Emmylou Harris make bluegrass, gospel, hobo and folk music for a new, more patriotic nation.

10. Jimmy Eat World:
‘Bleed American’

Runners up: Gorillaz Gorrilaz, Pete Yorn Musicforthemorningafter, White Stripes White Blood Cells, Tool Lateralus.

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...