Sports Briefs

TRACK AND FIELD

The Miami men’s and women’s track teams competed at the Florida Intercollegiates Meet at the University of Florida in Gainesville last Saturday. The event featured athletes from UM, Florida, Florida State, UCF, South Florida, Bethune-Cookman, FIU, Florida A&M, North Florida and Jacksonville. Lauryn Williams won the women’s 55-meter dash and broke the school record with a NCAA provisional qualifying time of 6.87. The Miami women return to competition at the North Carolina Invitational at Chapel Hill, N.C. on January 18th-19th. The men’s team next competes in the North Carolina Invitational on January 25th-26th.

SWIMMING AND DIVING

The Miami women’s and men’s swim teams lost to Clemson and Rutgers at the Norman Whitten Pool on Saturday, January 5th. Clemson defeated the men’s team 127-43 and the women’s team 133-68. Rutgers defeated the men’s team 151-37 and the women’s team 112-89. Senior Wesley Stoddard won the men’s 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 9:42.85. Stoddard also captured first in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:39.84. Sophomore Manon van Rooijen took first in the women’s 100-yard freestyle (52.18) with Erin Johns finishing fifth (53.78), Heather Soloman (Getzville, N.Y.) ninth (56.37) and Josie Huffman 12th (57.80). Van Rooijen took second in the women’s 200-yard freestyle (1:53.49) with Samantha Caetano of Rutgers won the event with a time of 1:52.13. Junior Christine Williams finished second in the women’s 50-yard freestyle (24.16). Freshman Kristy MacLennan finished second in the women’s 200-yard butterfly (2:05.84) and third in the 200-yard IM (2:10.19). Sophomore Courtney Caples took third place in the women’s 200-yard breaststroke (2:25.58). In the relay events, Miami (3:32.14) finished second behind Clemson (3:31.93) in the women’s 400-yard freestyle and third in the 400-yard Medley (3:57.96) behind Clemson (3:54.86) and Rutgers (3:56.22). Miami’s swim teams return to action on January 19th in Jacksonville in a meet with North Florida and the College of Charleston.

SOCCER

University of Miami soccer player Lisa Gomez started for the Mexican national team in a match against the United States on Saturday, Jan. 12 at Blackbaud Stadium in Charleston, S.C. Gomez, a junior defender, played the entire match broadcasted live on ESPN 2 in a losing cause as the Mexicans fell 7-0 to the defending World Cup Champions. Gomez was recently named to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America All-South Third Team after leading the Hurricanes to their first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance. She finished the season with four goals, three assists and 11 points. She scored the game-winning goal in Miami’s 3-0 shutout victory over Florida Atlantic (Sept. 4, 2001).

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...