Greeks kick off spring effort, last day Feb. 1

Spring was in the air and out came all the nubile young Greeks recruiting on campus. The new and improved “Spring Recruitment 2002” began with a bang last Monday.

For all the male students at the University of Miami who took their time to ease into college life before deciding that Greek life is for them, spring recruitment came at just the right time.

“In the fall semester a lot of students just don’t know enough about Greek life or they want to take some time to adapt to the college atmosphere first,” said Mike Johnston, vice president for recruitment. “They don’t want to jump into a fraternity.”

The program is revamped this semester, Johnston said. Shuttles now take recruitees back and forth from the housing tours from the Panhellenic Building to Fraternity Row.

“Now they don’t have to trek all the way to and from [where they go]. It’s a big difference,” Johnston said.

Recruitment officially began last Monday, but students are still able to join in the program, which lasts until Feb. 1st, Bid Day.

The only caveat is, Johnston said, is that students must have a 2.3 G.P.A. or higher to participate. Recruitment is a time-intensive program and the Office of the Dean of Students, which runs the program, wants to ensure that academics do not suffer.

Although under university regulations fraternity recruitment is year-round all 10 fraternities, Alpha Epsilon Pi, Alpha Sigma Pi, Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Pi Kappa Alpha, Sigma Chi, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Zeta Beta Tau, are participating in recruitment this semester.

“Spring Recruitment is usually smaller because there is not the influx of freshmen…there is more opportunity for bonding,” Johnston explained.

Interested students can sign up in the Breezeway today and Monday, where organizers will also have the schedules of all the different chapters and any other information needed.

Next Tuesday is the Greek Forum, which will be held in the University Center Flamingo Ballrooms.

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...