Greeks kick off spring effort, last day Feb. 1

Spring was in the air and out came all the nubile young Greeks recruiting on campus. The new and improved “Spring Recruitment 2002” began with a bang last Monday.

For all the male students at the University of Miami who took their time to ease into college life before deciding that Greek life is for them, spring recruitment came at just the right time.

“In the fall semester a lot of students just don’t know enough about Greek life or they want to take some time to adapt to the college atmosphere first,” said Mike Johnston, vice president for recruitment. “They don’t want to jump into a fraternity.”

The program is revamped this semester, Johnston said. Shuttles now take recruitees back and forth from the housing tours from the Panhellenic Building to Fraternity Row.

“Now they don’t have to trek all the way to and from [where they go]. It’s a big difference,” Johnston said.

Recruitment officially began last Monday, but students are still able to join in the program, which lasts until Feb. 1st, Bid Day.

The only caveat is, Johnston said, is that students must have a 2.3 G.P.A. or higher to participate. Recruitment is a time-intensive program and the Office of the Dean of Students, which runs the program, wants to ensure that academics do not suffer.

Although under university regulations fraternity recruitment is year-round all 10 fraternities, Alpha Epsilon Pi, Alpha Sigma Pi, Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Pi Kappa Alpha, Sigma Chi, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Zeta Beta Tau, are participating in recruitment this semester.

“Spring Recruitment is usually smaller because there is not the influx of freshmen…there is more opportunity for bonding,” Johnston explained.

Interested students can sign up in the Breezeway today and Monday, where organizers will also have the schedules of all the different chapters and any other information needed.

Next Tuesday is the Greek Forum, which will be held in the University Center Flamingo Ballrooms.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...