Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL
The top-ranked University of Miami Hurricanes, led by Conference Player of the Year Bryant McKinnie, placed a league-best 10 players on the Big East All-Conference Football Team by Football News magazine, the publication announced. McKinnie was also named a finalist for the 2001 Outland Trophy, which honors the best interior lineman in college football. Miami placed seven players on the offensive all-league team led by junior quarterback Ken Dorsey. Others honored were sophomore receiver Andre Johnson, junior tight end Jeremy Shockey, senior guard Martin Bibla, senior tackle Joaquin Gonzales and junior placekicker Todd Sievers. Three Hurricanes earned spots on the defense, including linebacker Chris Campbell, cornerback Phillip Buchanon and free safety Edward Reed, also a first-team All-America selection by Football News. In addition, punter Freddie Capshaw was named a finalist for the Ray Guy Award recognizing the nation’s top collegiate punter.

SWIMMING AND DIVING
The University of Miami Swimming and Diving team put forth a dominating performance at the Pittsburgh Invitational on Nov. 16-18. The Hurricane men’s diving team swept the three-meter event with senior Imre Lengyel taking first (604.60), junior Kyle Prandi in second (594.90) and freshman Miguel Velazquez in third (575.80). The men also dominated in the one-meter diving event with Lengyel taking first (359.70), Prandi in second (324.30) and Velazquez third (294.10). In the platform diving competition, Lengyel took his third first-place finish with a 627.00 score. Velazquez finished second (509.75) and Prandi third (508.40). The Miami women’s diving team answered with sophomore Melanie Rinaldi. Rinaldi capturing first-place in both the three-meter diving competition (549.85) and the platform (436.30). Sophomore Manon van Rooijen finished first in the 200-yard freestyle swimming competition with a time of 1:51.10. The team returns to competition at the U.S. Open in Uniondale, New York on Nov. 30-Dec. 3.

VOLLEYBALL
Head volleyball coach Nicole Lantagne announced the signing of three players from Texas, Pennsylvania and Florida to national letters of intent. It is the second recruiting class for Lantagne. Joining the program are Karla Johnson from Houston, Texas, Robin Lewullis from Allentown, Pennsylvania and Francheska Savage from Ft. Myers, Florida. Johnson was MVP of District 15-5A at Westfield High School in Houston. Lewullis helped lead Allentown Central Catholic High School to a 27-3 record this season and a state title. The 6-1 middle blocker/outside hitter also played basketball for Central Catholic which won the 2001 State Championship. Savage was named All-Conference for Ft. Myers High School. She was also named Most Improved the past two seasons.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...