Q & A with Miss UM Erin Fowler

Undergraduate senior Erin Fowler’s magnificent rendition of the classic jazz staple “Paper Moon”, along with dazzling performance in the “Evening Gown” and Swimsuit competitions delighted judges on her way to becoming this years Miss University of Miami.

Representing Alpha Sigma Phi, Fowler, 22, pursued her philanthropic platform with a “Mentoring through Music” program which entails going to local schools and assisting children with their musical endeavors who otherwise would not be able to pursue them for financial reasons.

She is currently studying music, with a principal in jazz vocals, along with a minor in psychology. Fowler credits her University of Miami alumni mother with much of her musical passion.

What unique aspect of your performance do you think made the most significant impression on the judges?

There are so many categories that you really have to perform well in all of them. I believe I had a strong platform that I have been pursuing for years, and that definitely was a factor.

I was not nervous at all going into the interview-eight minutes is a short amount of time to show someone who you are so I went in and had a conversation with the person.

My overall mindset was to “do my best” and not simply “to win.” I truly love music and I sang a song that I have admired since I was a child. The song “Paper Moon” definitely matched my personality and performance. Confidence is a major factor as well, and during the pageant I really let the judges into my life and showed them the true person that I am.

Singing on stage with a song you love, it is the most amazing feeling in the world. I focused on the audience, not merely on my performance. It was such a great feeling simply to participate, I had no idea that I was going to win.

What are your responsibilities as Ms. UM?

Representing the University of Miami in Miss Florida, I am focusing on finishing the year well and preparing to represent the school in the Miss Florida Pageant. If I win that, I go on to Miss America. I am doing it for the experience, but I will be prepared. I don’t want to be thinking what if.

What are your personal interests?

I enjoy getting involved in making a different in others lives, being in my family and learning from others. I enjoy outdoor activity, going to the gym and traveling, learning about other cultures and seeing new sites. Backpacking and hiking in the country, I’m a “mountain girl.” I write my own music, it’s definitely a release of personal expression.

What would you like to pursue career-wise?

I would like to eventually become a professional singer or performer and travel the world touring either with other artists or solo, just an opportunity to sing and travel. I don’t mind being a backup singer, my passion is not about only being the star. I’d simply like to be a respected singer. I also plan to go to graduate school to study speech pathology.

How would you like to use your position to help your fellow University of Miami students?

I definitely would be willing to make appearances on behalf of student organizations in an effort to better assist the university community as a whole. I really strive to use this position to assist the university, not only limiting myself to the confines of the pageant. I would love to use my singing to further assist any of my fellow students.

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...