Women’s basketball defeats Iona

Sophomore guard Hutashi Wilson scored a career-high 16 points to lead Miami to a 71-52 victory over visiting Iona in its season opener Sunday afternoon.

The Hurricanes improve to 1-0 on the season, while the Gaels fall to 0-2.

Wilson also pulled down a career-high seven rebounds and three steals in the winning effort.

Miami jumped out early with a 13-4 run to start the game. The Gaels did not recover from the deficit and trailed 37-22 at halftime.

Junior Alicia Hartlaub led Miami with 10 points in the first half. The Hurricanes continued to pressure Iona and led by as many as 25 points in the second half. The Gaels tried to make a comeback with an 11-0 run late in the game, cutting Miami’s lead to 13 points.

Wilson combined with senior Martha Bodley to put the Hurricanes back on track and increased the lead to 19 points with 4:26 left in the game.

The Hurricanes remained in control of game and cruised with a 19-point game-winning margin over Iona.

Miami shot 46 percent from the field, compared to 32 percent for Iona. The Hurricanes out-rebounded the Gaels 47-33.

Four players scored in double digits for Miami, Wilson (19), Hartlaub (12), Sheila James (Orlando, Fla.) (12) and Shaquana Wilkins (12).

Megan Cobb led Iona with a game-high 21 points in 35 minutes of action.

Miami is back in action Wednesday night at 7 p.m., taking on Northwestern.

-Courtesy of Sports Information

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...