Women’s basketball defeats Iona

Sophomore guard Hutashi Wilson scored a career-high 16 points to lead Miami to a 71-52 victory over visiting Iona in its season opener Sunday afternoon.

The Hurricanes improve to 1-0 on the season, while the Gaels fall to 0-2.

Wilson also pulled down a career-high seven rebounds and three steals in the winning effort.

Miami jumped out early with a 13-4 run to start the game. The Gaels did not recover from the deficit and trailed 37-22 at halftime.

Junior Alicia Hartlaub led Miami with 10 points in the first half. The Hurricanes continued to pressure Iona and led by as many as 25 points in the second half. The Gaels tried to make a comeback with an 11-0 run late in the game, cutting Miami’s lead to 13 points.

Wilson combined with senior Martha Bodley to put the Hurricanes back on track and increased the lead to 19 points with 4:26 left in the game.

The Hurricanes remained in control of game and cruised with a 19-point game-winning margin over Iona.

Miami shot 46 percent from the field, compared to 32 percent for Iona. The Hurricanes out-rebounded the Gaels 47-33.

Four players scored in double digits for Miami, Wilson (19), Hartlaub (12), Sheila James (Orlando, Fla.) (12) and Shaquana Wilkins (12).

Megan Cobb led Iona with a game-high 21 points in 35 minutes of action.

Miami is back in action Wednesday night at 7 p.m., taking on Northwestern.

-Courtesy of Sports Information

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...