Women’s basketball defeats Iona

Sophomore guard Hutashi Wilson scored a career-high 16 points to lead Miami to a 71-52 victory over visiting Iona in its season opener Sunday afternoon.

The Hurricanes improve to 1-0 on the season, while the Gaels fall to 0-2.

Wilson also pulled down a career-high seven rebounds and three steals in the winning effort.

Miami jumped out early with a 13-4 run to start the game. The Gaels did not recover from the deficit and trailed 37-22 at halftime.

Junior Alicia Hartlaub led Miami with 10 points in the first half. The Hurricanes continued to pressure Iona and led by as many as 25 points in the second half. The Gaels tried to make a comeback with an 11-0 run late in the game, cutting Miami’s lead to 13 points.

Wilson combined with senior Martha Bodley to put the Hurricanes back on track and increased the lead to 19 points with 4:26 left in the game.

The Hurricanes remained in control of game and cruised with a 19-point game-winning margin over Iona.

Miami shot 46 percent from the field, compared to 32 percent for Iona. The Hurricanes out-rebounded the Gaels 47-33.

Four players scored in double digits for Miami, Wilson (19), Hartlaub (12), Sheila James (Orlando, Fla.) (12) and Shaquana Wilkins (12).

Megan Cobb led Iona with a game-high 21 points in 35 minutes of action.

Miami is back in action Wednesday night at 7 p.m., taking on Northwestern.

-Courtesy of Sports Information

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...