Toe-tappin’ fun

Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller wrote “Hound Dog”. Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller wrote “Charlie Brown”, “Spanish Harlem”, and “Stand by Me”. Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller wrote “Jailhouse Rock”. Now we are properly introduced to some of the numerous pop hits of the 1950s and 1960s composed by this industrious duo.

Each song has a neat polish to it but none aspires to become a standard in the fashion of songs by Cole Porter or Gershwin, whose crafted show tunes fed not only the pop charts but also served as standards for the jazz musicians to improvise upon. Far from it, Leiber and Stoller wrote songs whose structure relied upon the new music coming of age in the 1950s, rock ‘n roll. Perhaps the greatest merit of gems such as “Yakety Yak” is that they manage to capture glimpses of the time in which they were written.

In two acts where one song leads to another, without leaving the actors time to breathe, the play ‘Smokey Joe’s Caf

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...