Student attacked at UC

Coral Gables police officers arrived at the University Center (UC) Patio last Tuesday afternoon in response to an act of violence and left with a male student in handcuffs.

According to police reports, 20-year-old Virgilie Aliu-Otokiti stated that Bjorn Moncur, 20, approached her while she was sitting at a table on the UC Patio and said “stop looking in my f*ing direction,” after which a verbal altercation began.

Aliu-Otokiti stated that during the altercation, Moncur grabbed her by the neck and threw her on the ground, according to the Coral Gables police report.

UM student Stacey Balkaran, 20, acted as a witness in the police report and verified Aliu-Otokitis’s recount of the event.

Aliu-Otokiti and Balkaran then went to a first floor UC office where police were called.

Police said Alui-Otokiti further stated that she has had previous verbal and physical altercations with Moncur that she had not reported to police.

Alui-Otokiti stated in the police report that Moncur is a friend of hers, “but not a boyfriend.”

Police describe Moncur as a black male, 5′ 6″, 195 lbs. with dreadlocks, a goatee and a tattoo on each of his forearms.

A UC information desk employee who arrived after the altercation said he saw Moncur waiting in the UC office and that he was “immensely built” and “huge for his height.”

“He’s here in the UC all the time,” the source said.

Coral Gables police officers Cuerdo and Saborido charged Moncur with one count of simple battery and then took him away in handcuffs at 1:39 p.m.

Moncur has been released and has not as yet received any sanctions from university administration.

Alui-Otokiti did not request medical attention following the altercation.

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...