Letters to the Editor

This may be overkill, but I must add my two cents in response to the letter to the editor by Mr. Derek Bramble that was published on Nov. 2.

When I first read the letter I did not feel it necessary to counter, as I did not believe anyone would take such a derogatory letter seriously and, for that matter, did not know the university paper had such a strong readership. Now my opinion has changed and I would like reply to the letter. I, like others, took offense to the statement that the players are here on a “free ride” and the insinuation that they are of inferior intelligence.

Now I would like to ask Derek how he is paying for his education here while he is “trying to get his degree.” I would hazard a guess that Mommy and Daddy have bankrolled his education while football players work their hearts out to pay for an education. The statistics do not lie. More than 95 percent of the players will go on to a non-football related future, with a degree they worked for and discipline they learned playing a “game.” Derek, think you could do two practices a day and still graduate with honors? A football player did. How about play ball and still go through the MBA program here? I have two players in my graduate level economics class. These guys help put this school on the map, so when you do tell your friends that you go to University of Miami, they don’t ask, “Where?”

Instead of illustrating your ignorance and dissatisfaction with life stemming from you not receiving enough attention from Mommy, Daddy, girls or whomever, why don’t you show some school spirit, watch a game and see what you are missing. Be thankful for these guys for helping fund your great school with the millions of dollars of revenue they generate every year.

Adam Greenberg

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...