Letters to the Editor

This may be overkill, but I must add my two cents in response to the letter to the editor by Mr. Derek Bramble that was published on Nov. 2.

When I first read the letter I did not feel it necessary to counter, as I did not believe anyone would take such a derogatory letter seriously and, for that matter, did not know the university paper had such a strong readership. Now my opinion has changed and I would like reply to the letter. I, like others, took offense to the statement that the players are here on a “free ride” and the insinuation that they are of inferior intelligence.

Now I would like to ask Derek how he is paying for his education here while he is “trying to get his degree.” I would hazard a guess that Mommy and Daddy have bankrolled his education while football players work their hearts out to pay for an education. The statistics do not lie. More than 95 percent of the players will go on to a non-football related future, with a degree they worked for and discipline they learned playing a “game.” Derek, think you could do two practices a day and still graduate with honors? A football player did. How about play ball and still go through the MBA program here? I have two players in my graduate level economics class. These guys help put this school on the map, so when you do tell your friends that you go to University of Miami, they don’t ask, “Where?”

Instead of illustrating your ignorance and dissatisfaction with life stemming from you not receiving enough attention from Mommy, Daddy, girls or whomever, why don’t you show some school spirit, watch a game and see what you are missing. Be thankful for these guys for helping fund your great school with the millions of dollars of revenue they generate every year.

Adam Greenberg

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...