Lady Canes fall to Georgia in first round of NCAA Tournament

The Miami soccer team fell short, falling 5-2 to Georgia in the first round of the NCAA tournament Friday afternoon at the Percy Beard Stadium in Gainesville.

The Hurricanes wrap up the 2001 season with an overall mark of 10-9-1, while the Bulldogs improve to 13-5-1 overall.

“We started the match very strong and played well,” said head coach Jim Blankenship. “We just needed to take that momentum and play strong for the entire match, something we will improve on.”

Georgia will face the winner of the match between host Florida and UCF Sunday at 2 p.m.

The Hurricanes struck first; scoring 10 minutes into the match as Deidre Bass scored her fifth goal of the season to put Miami on top by one. Allison McWhinney and Laura West assisted Bass on the goal.

Miami continued its attack scoring three minutes later as McWhinney scored on a pass from Bass.

The Hurricanes kept the two-point lead until Georgia’s Tricia McKee scored on a cross from Kristen Allen at 26:17 putting the Bulldogs back into the match.

Six minutes later Georgia scored again as Lauren Zacharski connected on a pass from McKee to tie the match two-all.

Georgia came out on fire the second half and scored three goals within 10 minutes of each other, then sat back and played defense for the remainder of the match.

Georgia tallied 13 shots, compared to only four for the Hurricanes. UGA also took five corner kicks, while Miami took none.

-Courtesy of Sports Information

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...