Don’t let bookstore extort you

As we approach the second semester, the thought of buying books again looms on the horizon. I remember a few months ago standing in line, hoping to God I would not have to drop classes that required plastic-wrapped books.

As I laid three new Spanish books on the counter, the total reached $500. I then winced as $109 more were added to my total.

As I walked out of the bookstore, a warning sign on the wall caught my eye: “Unwrapped books cannot be sold back.”

Naturally, I felt a pang of fear when I opened the books a few days later to do some homework.

Soon, I was instructed by my advisor to drop the class. Taking the brand new books to the store, I asked if there was anything they could do for me. The told me my only options were to keep the books or sell them back to the bookstore for merely peanuts.

It is simply not fair that I should pay so much money and then receive less than ten percent of the original price when I try to sell the unused books back. Spurred by my disillusionment, I searched online for the books to check how badly I had been cheated. I found the very same books for half the price, shipping and handling included.

While there may not be much we can do to change the prices of the bookstore, I strongly urge students to find their books elsewhere. Do not succumb to such unfairness again.

There is no excuse for such extortion, and I for one demand action on the part of the administration.

Travis Atria is a sophomore majoring in English literature.

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...