Don’t let bookstore extort you

As we approach the second semester, the thought of buying books again looms on the horizon. I remember a few months ago standing in line, hoping to God I would not have to drop classes that required plastic-wrapped books.

As I laid three new Spanish books on the counter, the total reached $500. I then winced as $109 more were added to my total.

As I walked out of the bookstore, a warning sign on the wall caught my eye: “Unwrapped books cannot be sold back.”

Naturally, I felt a pang of fear when I opened the books a few days later to do some homework.

Soon, I was instructed by my advisor to drop the class. Taking the brand new books to the store, I asked if there was anything they could do for me. The told me my only options were to keep the books or sell them back to the bookstore for merely peanuts.

It is simply not fair that I should pay so much money and then receive less than ten percent of the original price when I try to sell the unused books back. Spurred by my disillusionment, I searched online for the books to check how badly I had been cheated. I found the very same books for half the price, shipping and handling included.

While there may not be much we can do to change the prices of the bookstore, I strongly urge students to find their books elsewhere. Do not succumb to such unfairness again.

There is no excuse for such extortion, and I for one demand action on the part of the administration.

Travis Atria is a sophomore majoring in English literature.

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...