Sports Briefs

VOLLEYBALL
Marcella Gamarra put an exclamation mark on the end of the 2001 volleyball season for Miami with a blistering kill and the Hurricanes finished on an 11-match win streak with a 3-0 sweep of St. Thomas (30-15, 30-28 & 30-27) on Tuesday evening in Opa Locka. The Hurricanes, completing the first season of volleyball for Miami since 1981, finished 17-7 overall (.708) and posted a 13-1 (.928) home record at the Knight Sports Complex. Gamarra scored 10 kills on 24 attacks (.333), two serving aces and seven digs. Freshman Sandra Totten also scored 10 for the Hurricanes on 17 attacks (.588) while freshman Valeria Tipiana scored eight kills on 13 attacks (.538). Mallorey James contributed 34 assists and four kills with seven digs while Jamie Grass had a team-high 12 digs. In her last match for the University of Miami, senior Kristi Sprinkel had five kills (.500), three block assists and eight digs. Senior Vanessa Koehler, also in her last match for UM, nailed a serving ace and had the distinction of serving the final time for the Hurricanes in 2001. Miami returns five of its six starters next year as the Hurricanes begin BIG EAST volleyball competition.

CROSS COUNTRY
University of Miami sophomore Matt Mulvaney finished 37th with a time of 32:33.42 at the NCAA South Region Cross Country Championships in Tuscaloosa, AL. last weekend. Senior Jeff Gaulrapp finished the 10,000-meter course in a time of 33:49.22 to place 76th. In the women’s 6,000-meter race, senior Jennifer Geroux finished 72nd with a time of 23:35.57.

FOOTBALL
Miami placekicker Todd Sievers captured Big East Special Teams Player of the Week for his performance at Boston College last Saturday. Sievers accounted for 12 of his team’s points in the Hurricanes’ 18-7 win at Boston College. The junior placekicker converted four field goals, with two from distances over 40 yards. Included in the kicks was a career-long 47-yard field goal. Sievers has made 16-of-18 field goals (88.9 percent) this season and leads the Big East in scoring with 85 points. It is his second weekly award this season.

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...