Sidewalks coming to San Amaro

The construction on San Amaro Drive has been a project the University and the City of Coral Gables have been working on for more than a year and is now underway.

When finished, it will provide sidewalks, lighting, signage, medians, a traffic circle, landscaping and irrigation. The construction work extends to Miller Drive up through the Doctor’s Hospital area.

“The University was required by the City to provide sidewalks and lighting only along the perimeter of the university,” said Janet Gavarrete, University Campus Planner.

“We recognized the importance of being a good community partner and neighbor and the need to address the vehicular traffic along San Amaro Drive as part of the project. The University worked with the City staff, city consultants and neighborhood to deal with the street calming recommendations made to the city by their traffic consultants,” Gavarrete said.

The University of Miami offered the City of Coral Gables the funding for the professional services for the construction documents and the construction work. The City accepted and is now a City project.

Alberto Delgado, City of Coral Gables Director of Public Works was unable to get in contact with for comment.

The University retained engineers to design the improvements to comply with the City requirements, said Gavarrete.

“The University felt that going beyond the city requirements was a more comprehensive and proper manner of dealing with the safety issues expressed by the city and the community,” said Gavarrete.

The construction though has created some problems for commuter students that drive as well as walk through San Amaro Drive. While city workers renovate the area, drivers have been inconvenienced, having to detour through Urbino Avenue.

“There are no pedestrian signs anywhere along San Amaro Drive and it makes it dangerous to cross the street,” said John Lopez, a senior who walks through San Amaro.

“I think it’s great they’re putting in a sidewalk because being a runner it’s safer for students,” said Lopez.

David Shair, a senior and Eaton resident, said, “The sidewalks are good but why is taking so long?”

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...