News Briefs Campus Calendar

parking garage closed for maintenance
To facilitate required annual maintenance while minimizing inconvenience to the University community, the Ponce Garage (5665 Ponce de Leon Boulevard) will be closed during the Thanksgiving break, Nov. 22-25. The garage will re-open at 6 a.m. on Nov. 26. To accomplish the necessary work, the garage must be cleared of all vehicles. Vehicle owners and/or responsible parties must remove their vehicles from the garage no later than 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 21. Failure to comply with this request will result in vehicles being towed at the owner’s expense. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. For more information, call 305-284-3096, option 1.

um pr students offer skills to YMca
Students enrolled in the University of Miami’s Public Relations Campaigns course are gaining valuable work experience by conducting a public relations campaign for the YMCA of Greater Miami’s annual Youth and Government Pre-Legislative Workshop.
The workshop, to be held tomorrow at the UM School of Law, will prepare Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe high School students for the YMCA’s 45th annual Youth and Government Conference in Tallahassee next January. There, students will learn the value of democracy by overtaking the Florida Government as State legislators, Executives and Supreme Court Justices.
This is the forth year students will be handling the campaign for the YMCA. This gives the public relations students a great opportunity to gain work experience. The skills obtained through this course will help the students in their pursuit of a career in public relations.

resource guide available at msa
The Department of Multicultural Student Affairs has a terrific resource guide for and about African/Black-Americans and Hispanic-Americans titled: Anuario Hispano – Hispanic Yearbook African American Yearbook These publications focus on reference materials and issues concerning the African/Black and Hispanic American communities. In addition, these books contain valuable information on scholarships for African and Hispanic-American students. For more information regarding these wonderful resources, please contact MSA, Building 21-P or call 305-284-2855.

reminders
TIS’ THE SEASON FOR FLU VACCINE
Flu season is upon us and the flu vaccine is available free of charge at the Student Health Center.

Calendar Events 16th November

National Hunger and Homelessness Week Ends

today
Ford Focus sponsors a Road Rally today on the University Green from 9am-3pm. All participants receive great prices and even tickets to see LIVE in concert.

Focus Forum. Informal roundtable discussion about smart choices, careers and dreams hosted by Jay Mohr including Ed Kowalczk from LIVE and Pieer Perabo from Coyote Ugly.

UM Surfrider presents The Surf Party at the Rathskeller tonight at 8pm-1am.

The newly established University of Miami Young Democrats will be holding their latest meeting today at 4pm in the UC ballrooms. Special guest Jimmy Morales will attend and discuss his bid for Miami-Dade County Mayor. Pizza and drinks will be given out. Come and Share your ideas!

november 17
The Indian Students Association will hold its annual “Diwali 2001 Celebrations” tonight at 7:30pm at the North Miami Performing Arts Center. Tickets are on sale at $10, $15 & $20. Come and see this beautiful exhibition of Indian Culture at its finest ever and celebrate the Indian New Year with us as we dance, sing and share our food and heritage with you. Part of the proceeds will go to “United Way” fund. For more information e-mail us at isaofum@hotmail.com visit our website at www.miami.edu/studorgs/isa.

The Lowe Museum presents Once Upon A Saint today. Admission is free to students.

november 18
Hurricane Productions is proud to announce That Grammy award winning spoken word artist Henry Rollins will be performing at the Storer Business Auditorium at 7pm tonight. All tickets distributed previously will be valid for the new date, however seating is limited and will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Doors will open at 6:30pm and guests will be admitted for $15 at the door. Please call the Hurricane Productions office at 305-284-4606 for more information.

november 20
UM’s Law School has Open House from 9am-1pm

november 21
Inquiry: The Research Connection. Professor Chatterjee will be discussing his fascinating career as a documentarist. Eaton Classroom 145 at 4pm.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...