Men’s basketball preview

Rafael Berumen (12)
F/C, 6-9, Junior, Los Angeles City College
Last Year: Berumen led L.A. City College to a 32-4 record by averaging 18 points and nine rebounds per game. Berumen’s stellar play earned him an All-South Coast Conference selection.
This Year: Along with Will Frisby, Berumen will add a lot of much needed depth to the frontcourt this season. Berumen will likely see some significant minutes off the bench and will be expected to contribute.

Paulo Coelho (13)
G, 6-2, Junior, Universidad de Porto
Last Year: Coelho missed all of last season, recovering from surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee.
This Year: Because of the injury, many of Coelho’s expectations are unknown. Coelho has played in 51 career games, however, and will help bolster Miami’s bench with that experience.

Rodrigue Djahue (14)
F, 6-7, Sophomore, Miami NW Christian Academy
Last Year: Djahue saw action in all but two games and provided the Hurricanes with one of their best assets off the bench, averaging 4.1 points and 2.7 rebounds.
This Year: Although Djahue is still learning fundamentals of the game, the sophomore may be one of the first players off Perry Clark’s bench.

Will Frisby (34)
F, 6-8, Sophomore, Fresno City College
Last Year: Selected to the All-Central Valley Conference first team, Frisby averaged 18.5 points and 10.8 rebounds, while shooting almost 58 percent from the field.
This Year: Frisby will start the season as more of a role player, but has more potential than possibly anyone else on the team.

Danny Marakovits (20)
G, 6-4, Sophomore, Allentown Central Catholic
Last Year: Marakovits saw very limited action, playing seven total minutes and scoring three points.
This Year: With the addition of Kahleaf Watson and the return of Coelho, Marakovits’ minutes will probably not go up significantly.

Brandon Okpalobi (10)
G, 6-2, Sophomore, St. Augustine
Last Year: Okpalobi did not see a lot of action, playing 17 total minutes, scoring one point and pulling down five rebounds. He did play four minutes in the Big East Tournament.
This Year: With several guards on the team, Okpalobi will probably be fighting for playing time with Marakovits.

Jerry Schlie (11)
F, 6-6, Senior, Sachem
Last Year: Used sparingly throughout the season, Schlie scored three points and pulled down three rebounds in 23 total minutes.
This Year: Miami’s lack of frontcourt depth may give Schlie playing time early on. By midseason though, Frisby and Djahue will likely get most of Schlie’s minutes.

Michael Simmons (1)
G, 6-0, Sophomore, Mercersburg Academy
Last Year: Starting all 29 games at the point, Simmons provided stellar defense and dished out 2.5 assists per game. However, Simmons wasn’t much of a scoring threat, averaging 2.5 points.
This Year: Still recovering from a hip injury, Simmons will start the season on the bench. Whether he eventually moves back into the starting lineup or not, Simmons will still have a lot of duties on this team.

Kahleaf Watson (2)
G, 6-2, Freshman, Blue Ridge
Last Year: Led Blue Ridge High to it’s second consecutive state title, averaging 18.1 points and 4.5 assists in the process.
This Year: Watson may not see a lot of time early on, but his quickness and athleticism could land him the primary backup duties by the end of the season.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...